Monday, January 11, 2010

Welcome Baby Eats!

I'd intended to post a lot more over the Christmas holiday, but we got a bit of an unexpected gift--Baby Eats decided to arrive early!

I actually went into labor on Christmas Eve and was in labor full swing on Christmas day...and didn't realize it. I thought it was false labor. It really never occurred to me that she'd arrive 6.5 weeks early.

So I checked into the hospital around noon on Christmas day and grabbed a snack on the way in case they wouldn't let me eat.

And they didn't let me eat. For another 31 hours (yes, I counted; I was STARVING despite the IV--it is no good subsitute for food). Not until they were certain that we'd slowed labor down and that she'd stay in for a while longer.

My first meal? A heaping helping of mac and cheese, sweet potatoes...and broccoli (since I have to set a good example now). I have never been happier to have food. I have never gone that long without eating.

Okay, confession: I didn't really go that long without eating. The Husband sneaked in a little here and there for me (because I BEGGED) but when I say a little, I do mean a little. A few slices of fake bacon. A roll. Some fruit snacks.

Anyway, I was still confined to the hospital, so we settled in for a while. The food in the maternity ward is much better than other parts of the hospital, from what I understand. This is a good thing. I was actually pretty pleased with it. Though after a few days, I tired of mac n cheese and grilled cheese (I was still battling horrid acid reflux, so I was limited in my choices).

Though we thought she could hang in there until she was at least 34 weeks gestational age, Baby Eats decided to make her grand arrival on December 27th around 10pm. Perhaps she was sick of cheese?

After spending a little over a week in NICU, she got to come home, where we're all adjusting just fine. I am tired and tired of cold food (inevitably, she wants to eat just as I'm about to eat) but we're all doing well and happy she's healthy. We just need to get her fattened up. She's 19.5 inches long but still under 5 pounds. But considering how much she eats, I'm predicting she won't be that tiny for long!

17 comments:

ceeelcee said...

I'm not usually one to get all googly moogly about other people's babies, but OHMIGOD THAT IS A CUTE KID!!

Well done.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Precious! Congratulations!

Nicole C. said...

She's lovely. Congratulations!

Beth said...

Awww, congrats Lesley!! Thanks for sharing a photo- she's so teeny tiny and cute as a button :-)

Eric and Katie said...

She's very cute...congrats Lesley!

Kathy T. said...

Formally welcoming her on Love Shak, Baby! She's uber perfect!

Laura Y. said...

What a sweetie. Love all the pink she's wearing. Congratulations!!

GingerSnaps said...

She's absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww...So sweet! (And I'm not usually gaga over babies, but she's really precious!) You forgot to mention all of us following your labor tweets. So glad everything went well and the family is home doing well! Congrats!

pogo said...

Congratulations Lesley! Excellent tax planning!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Lesley! She is a sweetie! She is ust a cutiepie!! Hug hug, kiss, kiss to the baby! Now, when are you going to have a play date with baby Warren over at Powered by Veggies Nicole?

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you but haven't been on the blog world due to exhaustion. I'm so glad that you and baby eats are doing well. And, I must say your hospital food looks so much better than what I got!

Our veggie babies will definitely have to play sometime

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my post .Where i can watch more info about?

almostvegetarian.com said...

What a dumpling. Congratulations.

Meredith said...

She is so tiny and beautiful! Congratulations to you!

fluffernutter said...

Welcome BabyEats! Look at that adorable little muffin. I can't believe she was early -- maybe if you set a loaf of bread next to her to help with scale...

mIKES said...

welcome to the wonderful world of preemies~! Talk to the wife - she had the pleasure of delivering twins around 2 months early. The boy weighed in at 4 lbs 0 oz, had two collapsed lungs and his sister was quite yellow but a whopping 4 lbs 11 oz. These days (23 years later) the lad has a normal regimen of 60 mile bike rides, running, and is a certified personal trainer. His sis is a chef in Nashville, both are serious advocates in a lot of social causes.

They, *and* their mom? Vegetarian.