Sunday, July 11, 2010

First Taste: Bagelface Bakery

I discovered the new Bagelface Bakery in East Nashville from reading this post over at the Nashville Scene's Bites blog. I was dubious; a bagel in Nashville as good as you get in New York City? Can it be? I've always heard that it's the water in New York that is the key ingredient in the bagels and pizza crust, but that concern was addressed in the comments on that post. A commenter I trust, mIKES assured me that the bagels were comparable.

The bakery has had limited hours while testing the recipe and process and officially opened this morning at 7am (with plans to stay open until 2pm). I wasn't taking any chances. Though I intended to be there much sooner, I got there around 9am, unshowered and wearing yesterday's clothes (which may or may not have had some remnants of baby food on them). Right behind me were Jim Ridley of the Scene as well as friend/commenter Laura. Always the way, isn't it? But it's a good thing I didn't take the time to get all done up; a post on the Bagelface Facebook page indicated they ran out of bagels shortly after my visit. Apologies to those of you who showed up after 10am and left empty-handed.

Anyhoo, out in the parking lot, the tasting began with the plain bagel. Crispy outside? Check. Chewy, soft inside? Check. And what's that? A hint of butter and sea salt? Oh, yes. This, my friends is an excellent bagel. Not quite the same as Times Square bagel, but excellent in its own right. Definitely the best bagel in Nashville. And it really doesn't even need butter and cream cheese. It's good enough to eat all by itself, the way God and New York City intended.

It's quite a haul from West Nashville to Riverside Village, but it's well worth it. Besides, hitting the open (and quiet) road on a Sunday morning, baby-free was kind of fun. Driving as fast as I want the speed limit...testing the Lesbaru's all wheel drive at full speed at the recommended speed on the exit ramps...radio at full blast at a responsible and mature volume level...not a bad trip. And you may have guessed that one of the bagels did not make it all the way back home with me.

Bagelface Bakery is located in Riverside Village. From Ellington Parkway, exit Trinity Lane east to Gallatin and dog leg left, then right onto McGavock. Once you reach Riverside, turn right and then left into the back/lower level parking lot. Bagelface is actually underneath Sip, Mitchell's and Castrillo's. The store will be open daily from 7am until 2pm and Kristen Skrube, the proprietor hopes to get everything on track so that she will not run out again. But for at least a few weeks, you might want to call ahead first if you plan to arrive later than 10am.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! I am so there! Thanks for this post! I haven't had a bagel in years because there just isn't a decent bagel in Nashville.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Sounds DIVINE! I need to try one!

Anonymous said...

Oh I want to stuff my face with those bagels right now!

CoolSprings.com said...

I wish we had a great bagel place in Cool Springs.