Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Nuvo Burrito

I first heard about Nuvo Burrito on Twitter from a few friends who are fans. I have to admit, I wasn't very interested; burrito joints are springing up as often as cupcake joints so it's difficult to get excited. But I was in East Nashville on a Monday during lunch (when I discovered that Allium is closed on Mondays) and so my friend and I decided to give it a try.

The first thing I noticed is the lack of Subway-style prep line common at a lot of burrito places. Hrm. Next thing I notice was beer (and cocktails). Hrm. And then I saw the menu. Whoa. Nuvo Burrito is not like the other burrito places at all! Could this be why they call it nuvo?

After reviewing the menu, and reviewing the menu, and reviewing it even more (you can substitute tofu for any meat in the burritos and quesadillas, so I had a lot to choose from), I settled on The Berkeley with the corn relish on the side. My friend, however opted for the 90210 "ques-idea", which was a close runner-up to my pick (it's said to be good with tofu).

As you can see from the picture, this is a substantial burrito and the quesadilla portions are just as generous. I made it through half, but had to take the other half home, thinking it would be good for lunch the next day. But no kidding, I couldn't wait that long. A few hours after lunch, I had a little room in my tummy and I finished it off. It's amazingly tasty for what seems like a fairly healthy burrito. I really enjoyed the cilantro pesto and I used the cumin corn relish as a salsa for the complimentary chips.

It's got a nice, clean interior and during our visit, VH1 Classics was playing a nice assortment of videos from the 80s that kept Baby Eats very entertained. And the service is fast, friendly and helpful (particularly for first-timers surprised by the refreshingly different menu).

Nuvo Burrito is located at 1000 Main Street (Five Points in East Nashville), which is the building that Marche occupies up front; Nuvo Burrito is directly behind Marche.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I felt the same way Lesley! Another burrito place? Not rushing there any time soon....

Until last Friday night when my husband and I wanted take out and he specifically wanted something "new". Well, there aren't many places we haven't tried, so Nuvo came to mind. I threw it out there, we looked at the menu online, and he was all over it. It's a bit of a drive from our house in Green Hills, but totally worth it.

I have a feeling we'll be heading East a lot more often now!

Unknown said...

Early on, Nuvo had a lot of unfavorable reviews and comments. If you and Beth say it is good, I am now thinking that it should be ok to try this place. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The tofu part has made me want to try it despite that there are so many burrito places. Thanks for sharing.

And, seriously what is it about cupcakes and burritos these days.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Love this place! I too have ordered The Berkely. And I love that at lunchtime, you can get a lunch sized portion. Most burritos are too big for me.