Thursday, November 1, 2007

Woodlands Vegetarian Indian Cuisine

Yikes, I haven't posted since Sunday! I've, of course, eaten since Sunday, but nothing particularly noteworthy at home. I did, however, join a friend for lunch yesterday at Woodlands Indian vegetarian restaurant. The restaurant specializes in southern Indian cuisine (as opposed to your typical Indian restaurant that serves northern specialties such as Chicken Tikka Masala and Tandoori whatever, etc.). Their dinner menu is huge but I suggest trying the lunch buffet on your first trip.

Typically, I hate buffets. It brings out the glutton in me who feels the strong need to get her money's worth at the expensive of comfort. And I'm not sure I entirely trust most sneezeguards. Or other buffet patrons. But the buffet is a great way to get acclimated to a different kind of Indian food, find what you like (almost everything!) and go back for seconds, of course. And each person receives a masala dosa--one of my favorites.

The only problem, which really isn't a problem is that the selections change often and you can't always expect your favorites to be set out for the day. And not everything is always labelled, so I have a couple of favorite items (which, incidentally are all fried) that I have no idea how to ask for. One item is this homefry-looking fritter made from lentil flour. It's hard and crunchy like a fry, not soft like a bread. So delicious. They did have on the buffet yesterday some eggplant pakoras, some chickpea curry, and some of those savory lentil pancakes make with tomatoes, onion and cilantro. They do always have white basmati rice as well as a flavored yellow rice with vegetables and seasonings as well as two soups and a variety of sauces for dipping.

The best part for me, of course, is that everything is vegetarian (and much of it vegan), so I can fill my plate with reckless abandon (with a side order of rice pudding). Even better is that the food is so good, that it's a favorite among my non-vegetarian friends, too. So even if you're a committed omnivore, you'll never miss having critters in your food at Woodlands.

4 comments:

Eric and Katie said...

Lesley: Katie loves Woodlands and even as a meat eater I really enjoy it as well. The food seems to have a lot of care going into preparation. It's probably our favorite buffet after I Dream of Genie's in Brentwood. We enjoy your blog! We'll add you to the links section of our blog.

Unknown said...

Lesley, ya know this place is tasty isn't it! I love that you can eat here with reckless abandon! I have only gone for dinner, so I do not know the lunch buffet layout. The food is really good, I have to agree. I love the dosas, and I especially like one with peas, onions and potatoes. We are meat eaters, but prefer Woodlands over other Indian restaurants in town. We don't miss the meat at all!

Anonymous said...

My wife and I both love Woodlands. She a little more than I, though, since she's a vegetarian, and it's a treat for her to not have to scan the menu for things she can actually eat. Like Lannae, I don't miss the meat when I'm there, the food's so good.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.