Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 5 - Laguna Beach

I contemplated the decision of where we would stay in Laguna Beach for about a month before I finally made the decision. There aren't a whole lot of options in the area but they certainly run the gamut from basic to luxurious. So, despite the fact that the inn was not directly on the beach, I chose to go with the #1 rated hotel on Trip Advisor, Casa Laguna. Not just for the accommodations, but for the highly-recommended breakfast. And I was not disappointed.

I had several vegetarian options, but decided on the Crepe Duo--one with butternut squash and savory creme anglaise and one with fresh berries, cream cheese and a port wine reduction. Both were excellent, but the squash crepe was outstanding. My mouth is watering from the remembrance. The SO ordered the OC Benedict--a poached egg on focaccia with spinach, hollandaise sauce and a citrus zest topped with applewood smoked bacon (it's a rare occasion for him to eat bacon, so I allowed it with minimal consternation).

But I'd read about the waffle and was disappointed at the thought of not having it. So when I saw that another couple had ordered the waffle in addition to their breakfasts, I asked if I could have one as well. My request was granted without hesitation (the service and staff at Casa Laguna were so wonderful). The waffle is served with berries, vanilla creme and blueberry port syrup. Yum. Casa Laguna--blueberry syrup-dipped thumbs up.

We (reluctantly) left Casa Laguna and headed east toward Joshua Tree National Park. Our hearty breakfast kept us going for a while, so we didn't eat again until about 3pm when in the desert oasis of Yucca Valley and we spied the first Del Taco (of several) on Twentynine Palms Highway. Two Veggie Works burritoes lasted me through the rest of the day and into the night. And it's a good thing since we drove back to Las Vegas through the desolate Mojave Desert where the only dining options were roadkill.

Up next: In-N-Out.

No comments: