Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ready for 'Roo

I won't be doing any cooking this weekend. Instead, I'll be enjoying the culinary delights of the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival. That may sound crazy, but last year's festival was the first place I ever experienced the joy of arepas (Cliff's version: fried cornbread--yum!). Dear Lord, please let the arepa cart be there again this year.

In addition to arepas, there are lots of vegetarian and vegan options at this hippie-friendly event. I'll report back here on all the great 'roo food next week. Though I hope to to do a little liveblogging from the boyfriend's iPod.

In the meantime, if anyone's planning on going and hasn't been before (or didn't pay a lot of attention during previous visits), here're a few tips. Because I've seen a lot of bad information floating around out there. These are tips primarily for those of us who are day-tripping and won't have a campsite for refuge.

1. Water--drink lots of it, but there's no need to bring it with you. Bring two big empty plastic or metal bottles (no glass) with you to refill at the water station. Sure, a hyrdration pack will hold more, but in the heat, having that nylon against your back will not be comfortable. While I'm on the subject, get one of those super-lightweight backpacks that can easily be slung over one shoulder. You'll thank me when you realize you don't have to have sweat rolling down your back and into your nether-regions.

Some people complained about the water because it's well water and has some sulfur in it, but Itellyawhut, it's a helluva lot better than the river water that comes out of my tap in Nashville.

2. That lightweight backpack should also have a small flat sheet or one of those light lawn blankets in it for when you need to take a break. Or a shower curtain, plastic tablecloth, or trashbags to sit on if it rains and gets muddy. Any of those is much better than a heavy blanket, I promise. Though you do need things to put in each corner to keep them anchored.

And to those of you who bring chairs: the rest of us really don't like you.

3. Sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses are necessities. I've seen some blogs casually suggest them. They're imperative. And this year, I've got a straw hat from the World Market that is reminiscent of the design of a Vietnamese farmer's hat. Because my head roasted and melted under a cotton hat last year. Kavu sells a really cool version of the Vietnamese hat and I found myself coveting one last year. A spray bottle to mist yourself would come in handy, too. But I'm not sure I'll bring one.

Some people wear swimsuits, but there's nothing more I hate than sitting around in wet swim bottoms. So I wear lightweight, light-colored shirts and lightweight nylon, fast-drying shorts (from Columbia and Kavu). Yes, I pretty much treat this like an expedition, not a festival. Also, the more clothing you have on, the less sunscreen you have to apply.

4. Last year's dust and the resultant "Bonnaroo Lung" that plagued me for weeks means that I'm also throwing a couple of face masks (the kind you get at the paint or hardware store) in the bag. I saw plenty of scarves and doo rags used as makeshift masks last year, but I'm going with the real thing for a good fit. Will I look stupid? Yes, but it's Bonnaroo, which means there will be many more people who look much more stupid than me (particularly the inevitable fat naked guys).

5. Bring cash.

6. Wear comfortable shoes. I suggest Crocs. I know, you're thinking those are so 2006, but they're the best festival shoes. For one, they're waterproof. This comes in handy when you need to cool down, wash off and when it's muddy. They don't rub blisters. They protect your toes. And, most importantly, the material is impact-absorbing. Last year, I wore my Chacos one day and had aches and pains in my knees and hips (okay, I am old after all) because the farm is very bumpy. Walking over this slightly uneven terrain is hard on your joints. But the Croslite absorbs a lot of that and I didn't get fatigued at all when I wore the Crocs. And when you're at Bonnaroo, you're on your feet a lot.

7. A lightweight rain poncho. Because if you bring it, it won't rain.

8. Also helpful--extra tissue and hand sanitizing gel (or Wetnaps). Maybe a washcloth and a little soap. Yes, I'm a girl.

9. And because I am my mother's daughter, I will have a comb, ibuprofen, Clear Eyes, Rolaids, Band-Aids, and Pepto Bismol tablets just in case.

10. And, of course, I'll have my camera.

Also, last year, I coated a fair portion of my body in chemicals to avoid profuse sweating. Is this advisable? I'm not sure. But I felt better not dripping in sweat in areas that are uncomfortable (and stinky) when sweaty. My anti-perspirant of choice was Certain-Dri. It works. Another fine chemical you might consider is bug spray or cream. It's entirely possible there will be mosquitoes, chiggers and ticks waiting for your juicy self to walk by. Side note: don't wear fragrances that might attract bugs. You're welcome.

Last but not least: don't forget to bring your ticket.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is totally why I travel with you.

saraclark

Anonymous said...

have fun!

Anonymous said...

I sooo want to go! Tell us about the food but esp about the music.

Unknown said...

I gotta keep this list! Wow! So were you sleeping, rudely awaken, happily awaken, booing, or cheering at Kanye West?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.