Monday, June 9, 2008

A new meaning for frugal gourmet

His blog goes against all that I keep sacred and holy (among other things, to be picky about what I eat), but I can't help but admire his spirit: The 99 Cent Chef. It's a little fascinating and a little disgusting (if I were to eat lunchmeat, it would not be the kind you get at a 99 cent store).

That's not to say that I don't enjoy a bargain. I've found some very interesting and delicious items at my local Big Lots. But you have to know what you're dealing with (I'm still surprised to see the Anna's cookies there for $1 when the local groceries carry the same cookies for twice the price). And any time you get food--or anything--for a really cheap price, you have to step back a moment and ask why. Sometimes, it's a packaging design change. Sometimes a dismal failure of product marketing (whole grain Chips Ahoy, American Idol Pop Tarts). And sometimes, what you're looking at is (as Claudia says) just not good. Bargain food shopping is an art.

Update: The 99 Cent Chef cooks up a vegan Cuban meal!

3 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

well said, my dear...

99 Cent Chef said...

Hi Lesley,
In my latest blog entry, I created a Cuban vegetarian dinner just for you, thanks for the mention and keep up your delicious blogging...The 99 Cent Chef

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you about the $8 quart of "Italian" olive oil I found at Big Lots. Italy was busted for repackaging and selling Spanish olive oil. Spanish olive oil is great -- I got no problem with it. A lot of the misleading labeled stuff seems to have ended up at Big Lots.