Monday, January 28, 2008

Freeze, Ginger!

Just before the holidays, I bought fresh ginger root for gingerbread cookies. I also used the ginger in this wonderful sesame ginger tofu noodle salad. For the last month, though the ginger root has been sitting on top of the refrigerator with the onions and sweet potatoes. I've been wondering about its state of being, what I could do with it, what I should do with it and then, thankfully, a tip just fell in my lap.

I can freeze the ginger. I can just stick it in a freezer bag and keep it frozen until I need it. I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner. Particularly since I froze some lemon zest (which may or may not be decent by the time I unthaw it).

I shan't mention all the other things I have in my freezer. I generally think you can freeze just about anything. As I need these items, though I will let you know the verdict. Thus far, I know I can give a thumbs up to freezing a big ol' red bell pepper.

3 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

see how i learn from YOU

Almost Vegetarian said...

Yes, you CAN freeze ginger, thank heavens, because no normal person, outside of a Chinese restaurant can go through that thing in under, oh, say, a year.

You can also freeze grapes and bananas, which I know intellectually, but refuse to accept in my heart. You know and I know, it is just wrong to have frozen fruit outside of a bag.

What you can not freeze is potatoes as I leaned when I tried to freeze a soup with potatoes in it. Well, you can, but you won't like what it does to the texture (sure it tastes okay, but you will be forced to eat your previously frozen meal mumbling "No, that's not right, that's not right at all") which means that while freezers are a wonderful invention, they are not the miracle Birds Eye would have us believe.

But you can freeze water every time. Guaranteed.

Lesley said...

I've actually had frozen grapes--they're a nice dessert. And, of course, frozenchocolatebananaonastick is a staple of fairs and festivals in these parts.

Good to know about potatoes. Though my Ore Ida Tater Tots come out of the freezer just fine.