Monday, June 14, 2010

25th Purity Miss Martha's Ice Cream Crankin' -- A re-cap

Yesterday, Mr. Eats, Baby Eats and I braved the heat and humidity to try out the 25th Purity Miss Martha's Ice Cream Crankin' event. It's an ice cream tasting event, so it wasn't hard to convince Mr. Eats to go.

Wow. It was my first time at this event and there was more ice cream than I ever imagined. Even having mostly just two-bite portions, my body gave up long before my brain really wanted to. There was an entire tent of ladies with some spectacular-sounding ice creams (Shoo-Fly Pie!) that I didn't even get to try. I'm getting teary just thinking of it. But by that time, Baby Eats looked like she'd had enough. These kind ladies did give us a bottle of water for her. She doesn't drink water, but I thought it would cool her down. She proceeded to caress and lick the bottle. Parent of the year right here, people.

Before having to leave, we spotted local food friends Beth, Sallaboutme, Lindsay and Taylor, and Nicki P. Wood. I asked everyone about their favorites, but most couldn't name just one. The standouts for me were:
  • Triple Ginger--Penzeys ginger powder, candied ginger, and fresh ginger--fantastic
  • Wildflower Honey Cream--very delicate and refreshing
  • Chocolate Cherry Chunk--my first of the day
  • Dulce de Leche Crunch
  • Tequila Mexican Vanilla--Mr. Eats convinced me to try it noting that it tasted a bit like flan
  • Cheesecake--looked like mint chocolate chip, but was very cheesecakey and good
  • Snickerdoodle
  • Lemon Lime (Slush?)--far more tasty than its name implies
  • Ninth Plague of Egypt--a super dark chocolate memorable not just for its name and intense taste, but for the fact that I spilled some on my white shirt (which is now soaking in Borax) and it also ties with...
  • D's Nuts for best name!
  • Lemon Pie--one of at least 10 lemon-based flavors I saw (and I tried most of them; I love lemon)
  • Strawberry Swirl--neck and neck with lemon as a favorite fruit flavor
  • Twix!
  • Chocolate Almond Hazelnut--at least, I think there were two nuts in there. The hazelnut was more a flavor and I think there were slivers of almond. Loved it.
  • Toasted Peach
  • Ginger Pear
  • Chocolate Banana (on a "Stiiiiick")--okay it wasn't named that. Nor were any of the other three chocolate banana ice creams I had but they were all good.
  • Maple (something or other--I was in a sugar-induced delirium by that point)
  • Apple Pie
  • Grape!
  • Pomegranate Sorbet with chocolate covered pomegranate seeds--my last taste of the day, a much-needed, refreshing palate cleanser (with no cream)
And there were more. Many more. And many more that I didn't taste. I didn't taste any of the vast number of Oreo, Butterfinger, Snickers, or peanut butter ice creams. I don't do peanut butter and I didn't want to waste valuable real estate in my gut on Oreos. I'll eat Oreos and Oreo ice creams, but they're not my first choice. I skipped a lot of vanillas, pistachios, and coconuts too. Though it turns out that the winning flavor was Coconut Waltz. Oops!


Despite the large crowd of over-sugared and over-heated ice cream lovers, I only noted a couple of flavors that ran out. I have to say, what would be fantastic for next year is a map of the flavors. Or just their general vicinity. It would be a big help in prioritizing so you don't run out of steam before you find Shoo Fly Pie. One could argue that takes the fun out of it, but I'm just sayin'. I'd gladly volunteer to create this map next year. Ahem.

7 comments:

Linda said...

I heard there was a chai that I bet I would've liked. Next year, we're wearing icebags around our necks and sticking it out!

Beth said...

A map is a fantstic idea Lesley! How can they resist if you're volunteering to make it??

I too ran out of steam before tasting them all, and looks like I missed a few of your favorites.

Unlike you I LOVE peanut butter, so I tried practically every one of those. One just simply name Peanut Butter was awesome, as was the Peanut Butter Oreo. I normally don't go for cookie-types either, but glad I did this time.

Christy said...

Oh my god, toasted peach. Why don't we have stuff like this in Las Vegas? Damn it.

Edwin Acevedo said...

I love the idea of a flavor map. The concern I have is the printing cost and the task of getting everyone to buy in.

People only report the ice cream they're entering in the contest, so many flavors show up at the last minute. And if they're entering the contest, they may not want to report the flavor early because:

- They might change it.
- They may want to keep it secret until the contest.

I appreciate your willingness to volunteer to make the map, but I'm worried that it would be a lot of work for you -- and a lot of frustration.

I don't mean to be a downer because this would be really awesome to pull off. Maybe someone could sponsor the map? Maybe we could require a deadline to submit a flavor and have some kind of prize for most flavors submitted? What if a team of people could divide and conquer the churches/organizations to get them rolling?

This has great potential to make a great event even better. I'd love to brainstorm more ideas. Shoot me an email if you'd like to have coffee and chat.

Edwin Acevedo
Marketing/PR Manager
Martha O'Bryan Center
eacevedo@marthaobryan.org
www.marthaobryan.org

Lesley Eats said...

Linda--yes! Chai! I forgot to list it; it was really good.

Beth--I still don't know how you managed to stay clean.

Christy--This should be your project!

Edwin--Ahh, very good points. It was a completely selfish suggestion; we foodies like to plan. I'll think on this a little more!

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most brilliant food festivals I've heard of. I'm going to have to see if there's an ice cream fest anywhere around here.

I have to admit that in the past week I've gone through two pints each of B&J's new flavors Peanut Brittle and Milk and Cookies, so I'm sad to hear you didn't try any of the cookie or peanut butter flavors.

Hettar7 said...

This was my first year going to this event too and I loved it! I will SO be back next year. I even thought about different ice cream flavors I'd make if I were entering the contest (he he he).

I agree with you on some of the best flavors, like the Tequila Mexican Vanilla, the Triple Ginger, the Wildflower honey. I also really liked the Grape flavor with the nerds in it. Too fun. You must have missed a flavor called Very Lemon. She was on a corner kind of by her lonesome, but the flavor of her lemon was so real and very intense. The best lemon I tried. I missed the Shoo Fly Pie flavor! I'm so disappointed, as I would have loved to try it.

Ah well, next year. And yeah, I started out trying to taste every flavor, but I had to abandon that goal. I wish my stomach was bigger or my dairy tolerance was greater. Ha Ha.