Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wednesday

The day's not over yet, but I pretty much already know the plan for the rest of the day since I'm getting on an airplane in a couple of hours.

Here's the list:
Banana
Sandwich with a side of Kashi TLC crackers
Peach
Gardenburger

A few words about Gardenburgers. They're my favorite. I've tried Boca Burgers and some of the other brands, but I prefer original style Gardenburgers over them all because they don't try to be hamburgers. The fake burgers that try to be too hamburger-like creep me out. There's a restaurant in Memphis that serves a burger that every time I order, I have to have a lengthy discussion with the server to ensure that it's not a real hamburger. The consistency is that similar. Heck, if I'd wanted a burger, I wouldn't have become a vegetarian!

Anyway, as you know, I'm picky, so it's always the same style of Gardenburger and my bun of preference is Rudi's Organic Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns. Unfortunately, Wild Oats is frequently out of them, so I have to settle for other whole wheat buns. I can't remember what I've got in the kitchen right now.

I thaw the Gardenburger for about 55 seconds in the microwave and then sautee it on the stove in a little olive oil. Occasionally, I'll sprinkle some cheese on it and then I load it up with baby romaine lettuce and a slice of fresh tomato. Yum.

Though it's starting to look like from this week's posts that I eat very little, I assure you that is not the case. Starting tomorrow, my adventure begins in New York City, where I'm less interested in touristy sites than I am in all the great food. I've gotten a ton of tips on everything from cupcakes places and the best food carts to vegetarian dim sum in Chinatown. So I won't be blogging again until Sunday, but expect a full report of all the culinary goodness I sample in New York.

2 comments:

Holiday Grinch said...

Hey Lesley,
If you like Indian food, check out Chennai Garden in NY. It's in the East 30's, across from Blue Smoke. It's Indian, vegetarian AND Kosher...fabulous! Also, Madras Mahal around the corner...Kosher too but not sure it's all vegetarian.

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy Boca burgers. I may be getting Garden Burgers and Veggie Burgers confused but one of the two seemed kinda spicy to me and really upset my stomach when I tried it.