Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Best of Nashville

The Nashville Scene released it's Best of Nashville issue last week while I was visiting the Redneck Riviera, so I'm a little late in registering my approval for mentions of some of my favorite restaurants.

My favorite local restaurant, Zola was honored by readers as well as the writers for Best Use of Too Many Ingredients. Whereas that may sound like a bit of an insult, it is not. My dining companion and I went to Zola to celebrate my birthday recently (as we always do) and I ordered chef's selection of a vegetarian option (as I also always do). My dining companion got the menu's vegetarian selection, but I wanted to see what the chef/owner would come up with this year. Last year, I got the most delicious dish that included among other ingredients, Israeli couscous and capers in a pocket of phyllo and topped with a sauce that I'd love to tell you about but can only say it was amazing. The year before, I was treated to a special olive plate that I will remember forever.

That's the thing about Zola--Deb Paquette combines an array of everyday and very unusual ingredients in such a way that your tastebuds practically jump for joy. This year, I got a "Mediterranean Burrito" that used phyllo as the wrap and was stuffed with chopped asparagus, eggplant, red and yellow peppers and about a half dozen other things that I can't even remember. And it was divine. It bothered me to leave any on the plate, but I was nearly bursting about two-thirds of the way through it. But each bite was even better than the previous. And unlike Anthony Bourdain, Paquette and her staff are gracious and accommodating to vegetarians, even when we order off-menu. Judging by the delightful and thoughtful entrees I've been served, I might even say they were happy to accommodate me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Accomodating for vegetarians but what about vegans? I'd love to try Zola's.

Anonymous said...

I believe that the dinner I had was vegan. There may have been some cream in the sauce, but I don't think so. Same goes for the menu selection. I don't recall any dairy or eggs, etc. So yes, I believe vegans can be easily accommodated. But when you make your reservations (suggested, particularly for a weekend visit and a week or so in advance if there's a special event going on like Vanderbilt's Parents' Weekend), it wouldn't hurt to let them know that you're going to want a vegan meal.

Anonymous said...

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks Bourdain is a freak.