Monday, May 5, 2008

Nobody's perfect

As I was toasting my Provence Organic Grains bread in the breakroom and preparing for lunch, a few of my co-workers were talking what they were having for lunch today. One had fewer leftovers than she thought and I piped in with my comiseration: "I didn't have time to go to the grocery this weekend, so my salad's significantly smaller today than usual. I'm going to need a snack this afternoon myself." She asked, "You eat really healthy, don't you?"

Is that what people want to hear? That I eat really healthy? I'm not sure, but I'm a terrible liar. My response: "Usually, I eat fairly healthy. Though yesterday for lunch I went to Sonic and had a grilled cheese, Sonic-size tater tots and a Route 44 cherry limeade." That is nowhere near healthy.

It's America; what can I say? Sometimes I pig out on total crap. Total crap that is created specifically to taste really good (to Americans, I suppose). And it was good. Despite the fact that the grilled cheese was on white bread (Texas toast-sized white bread!) and the cheese was American cheese ("American cheese" should be an oxymoron) and that the tater tots were so greasy that they tasted more like "fried" than potatoes. And that the cherry limeade tasted more like a Pixie stick rather than cherry or lime. Regardless, I was thisclose to getting dessert, too. It's a downward spiral.

I am filled with both shame and the desire for another cherry limeade. There's a Sonic nearby my office. I'm trying to forget it exists.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, there are two different Sonics near your office. I'll have to give you directions to the other one, just so there are no excuses... ;^)

GingerSnaps said...

Therein lies the reason I am hooked on Sonic...easy access...and I love their ice. :)

Anonymous said...

I feel fortunate that I hate their commercials enough to dissuade me from being tempted by their food.

I never have understood the "our customers are dumbasses, don't you want to be one too?" school of marketing.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

sonic is my only fast food place. and the only thing i ever get there is the diet dr. pepper vanilla float.

heaven

Jane said...

I love your blog Lesley. I think you do eat really well and everyone is allowed a less than healthy treat now and again!!

Diana said...

I understand the love-hate relationship. I eat well most (well, at least half) the time, too, but after my crab pasta, I convinced myself I needed to go to Cold Stone for a "Love it"-sized cheesecake w/blueberries in a waffle bowl. Man, my mouth is watering at the memory.

Anonymous said...

ooh, i love a cherry limeade. this makes me kinda glad that there are no sonics in here in my parts.

Linda said...

I'm going to be a shame topper here... I have gotten my son hooked on Sonic's orange cream slushes, so now I have even more of a reason to get my limeade fix. I used to justify that the lime rind freshened my garbage disposal. Now I tell myself I'm bringing joy to the next generation.

Anonymous said...

Les, I have this dichotomy problem too. We eat like Tibetan monks a lot of the time, with the tofu skin and beans and rice and almond rella. But we could are just as likely to be grilling a whole smoked ham or drinking too many Manhattans. So it's hard to know how to answer the question.

Lesley said...

Thanks for all the moral support, guys. Who knew that Sonic was such a popular guilty pleasure among foodies? I'm sure they'll be pleased to know that.

And a thousand curses on Pogo for telling me where the other nearby Sonic is. Curses!

Anonymous said...

It is good to know we all cave at one time or another!
BTW, I went to PM on Sunday night after your mention about it in your Iron Fork review - Loved it. Thanks for the info.