Thursday, December 6, 2007

Eggs

I still need to tell you about my four-hour meal, but it's seeming like it will take me as long to write about it as it did to cook it. Nonetheless.

As I mentioned before, this is the time of year when I like to do some baking. So I've had to evaluate the contents of my refrigerator and pantry to determine what I need from the grocery to spend the day baking without having to make a trip mid-prep.

I had two partial cartons of eggs. Despite the fact that eggs are good for three-to-five weeks after the published expiration date, the now-ex-boyfriend wouldn't eat an egg that had been purchased longer ago than a week or two. I'd intended to use the remaining eggs for something but apparently never got around to it. I checked the expiration date to see if I could use them in any of my planned goodies and, nope, no dice. Expiration dates: June and July. Yikes. I've really had bad eggs in my refrigerator for months? Obviously, I'm not a fan of eggs.

Which brings me to this lovely webpage: How to Replace Eggs in Your Cooking. I'm still not 100% on board with using margarine instead of butter, but I might try that tofu trick and invest in some Earth Balance to see about making some of my recipes vegan (and a lot healthier).

Now I have to figure out how to dispose of six-month-old eggs. Unfortunately, the wiki answers on this topic are of little help. I'm thinking about a little patch of land at the back of my property instead of the landfill. Or maybe a little patch of land at the back of my neighbor's property. I kid, I kid. Kind of.

1 comment:

The Traveling Vegetarian said...

I'm all about the organic Earth Balance. It works great in baking, tastes good melted on things and it's cruelty-free!