Thursday, March 19, 2009

A tale of two fake meats

Last night, the SO and I were catching up on Tuesday night's Colbert Report that included a segment on lab-created meat ("shmeat"--a combination of two unappetizing words created to describe this...substance). The SO asked me if I'd eat shmeat. Er, no. There's still a fair dose of animal cruelty involved and, frankly, it sounds more disgusting than Quorn (which I do eat). Shmeat? Do they really think people will eat this? People do eat some rather objectionable shtuff.

That said, I'm generally not a fan of fake meat. I do eat the occasional Quorn item (since I live with an omnivore and I try to keep him happy), but I generally get by on vegetables and grains and such. But the other day, I picked up some Gardenburger Riblets. Last night, it was time to try them out (this was before we watched the bit on "shmeat"). The package recommends 3:45-4:00 for cooking in the microwave, but 3:45 proved to be a bit too long. Even with slightly dried out ends, the Riblets were really good. The sauce is tasty with just a bit of tang and the ribs themselves had a nice taste. I served them with some tater tots (really, what goes with Riblets?) and some steamed broccoli and it turned out to be a quick, easy and yummy meal. It was also cheap (about $4 worth of food), low calorie (less than 700 calories for a very filling meal) and vegan!

4 comments:

Janet said...

those look yummy!

The Purple Carrot said...

Hey lesley ... just wanted to say i'm liking your blog ... and your name ; )

cookingschoolconfidential.com said...

I can't believe you liked those! My husband adores them, but I find the smell, well, just plain nasty.

You two wacky kids, eating fake ribs and all. Where will it end, I ask you? Where will it end?!

Cheers!

michael, claudia and sierra said...

i'd go there
fake ribs - i'm in
but no shmeat

that segment was hilarious