Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Just Married

I've been on a short hiatus here, but for good reason--I got married! It's kind of a big deal, particularly since neither one of us had ever planned on getting married and waited a really, really long time to do so.

There are a few things I've always said I'd reward myself with if I ever got married. A honeymoon in Greece (on hold; we went to Cancun back in February). A Dyson (because men love these things and I hate vacuuming). And a KitchenAid stand mixer.

I got some really good advice from a friend who said I should just go all out and get as big a mixer as possible. So I did. The day after our wedding, I orderd the Pro Line KL26M8XOB. Six quarts. Bowl lift design. Twenty-five pounds of all metal gears and parts. God willing, I expect to have this mixer until I am a very old lady insistent on taking it with me to my nursing home room.

I bought it from the KitchenAid online store, which was conveniently offering free shipping and an offer for a free ice cream maker attachment. It was the ice cream maker that sealed the deal for the Significant Omnivore-now Husband. Though some of the recipes I've seen look a bit scary. Perhaps it will also make sorbet.

14 comments:

Emily Wilson said...

That's it. I'm officially jealous. I want to hear all it can do! In my ideal world I'd have a vitamix, too, but not exactly holding my breath.

ceeelcee said...

The stand mixer rocks! The ice cream maker is great too, since you don't have to worry about rock salt gravel all over your floor from the old crank style. You do need to carve out a big space in your freezer to keep the tub if you want to make ice cream/sorbet often.

fluffernutter said...

I'm totally sold on Kitchen-Aid products these days. I worked with Kitchen-Aid toaster oven that was expensive, but head and shoulders above the rest. Did you get dough hooks too?

Taylor said...

Isn't that why you get married...for the appliances? Congrats on the mixer and husband!

Anonymous said...

Congrats.
I'm very jealous on your kitchen aid. I got one before I was married because when all my friends were getting married and I was single my mom felt bad for me and started buying me appliances because she know I loved to cook!
when are you going to greece?

Lesley said...

Thanks everyone!

Coming soon to a dinner table near the husband: freezer smorgasboard. Gotta clear out room. That should be fun.

And fluff, I got one dough hook--a metal one. Bread in my future, I hope.

Nicole--my mom bought me one for the same reason, but I already knew it would be too small. So I had to ask her to return it. I felt terrible, but I knew it was the right thing to do. This was the only mixer for me.

And Greece? Yikes. Not any time soon. Not until after I get a new passport with my new name!

Unknown said...

Congrats! Great Present! You are the mix master now!

H said...

Congratulations, Lesley!! That's fantastic on all counts. I got a stand mixer soon after getting married too and can't live without it.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! I used to joke with my mom that's why I should get married...just so I could register for an awesome mixer. She didn't seem quite as amused. I have a small one now, but I'm super jealous of your new mega-mixer.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

#1 Congrats on the KA mixer! It looks just like mine (except mine has a brushed finish).

#2 Ooops, I meant to say "Congrats on Getting Married!" as the first thing I was going to congratulate you on!

#3... A FREE ice cream maker attachment?? Wowza! I stalked that attachment on eBay for a while before finally taking the plunge recently. So far I've only made one batch, but I'm dying to make another.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

no more excuses
that's all i have to say...
oh - that, and i worry about you with the whole ice-cream thing. this could be dangerous. very.

and as for the marriage thing
so like when are you having kids?
(hehehee)

see you next week

Lesley said...

Maybe I should refer to the attachment as the "sorbet maker attachment." And a dear friend bought me the pasta roller attachments, so watch out!

Thanks again for all the congrats!!!

Almost Vegetarian said...

Yeah, found it, the post I missed. The one post I should NOT have missed.

So, finally, belated congratulations! I've been in your position for a long while now, and it is great: The joy, the delights, the possibilities, and, yeah, even the frustrations.

But, at the end of the day, I just could not do without my KitchenAid!

Oh, yeah, and congratulations on getting married, too! May your lives be full of bliss.

Cheers!

Cool Springs Todd said...

I love my Dyson Animal DC-14 almost as much as my Rowenta commercial grade iron. Seriously. I need to get out a little more! LOL