Monday, December 21, 2009

Fresh pasta is pregnant woman's best friend...

...particularly when it's someone else making it for you!

Anyhoo, I've been keeping up with Nicole's progress since she's just a few weeks ahead of me. Baby Warren decided to hang in there for the full term, but finally arrived last week. What a precious baby! Congratulations!

I'm now at 33 weeks and at 32 weeks, I got hit with the double whammy of edema and major acid reflux. I've been cruising along for so long with only hip pain and vanity issues. But now I have to dramatically change what I eat--cut back on salt and cut out citrus, tomatoes, chocolate, and more. But those are the most important. The tomato is the staple of my diet.

I discovered my new issues after visiting my favorite Indian restaurant, Woodlands last week for what will probably be the last time for several months. Onions and tomatoes--not the best friends of a third trimester pregnant woman. Dinner was delicious, though. And by Thursday evening? I'd taken off my shoes and noted my socks looked funny. But then I took off my socks to reveal ankles that looked as if they had tumors. They'd swollen around the opening of my shoe. Fantastic.

So on Thursday, I was trying to figure out what was going to get me through the next 6-8 weeks. And it occurred to me: pasta. But not just any ol' pasta. I was finally going to get some Lazzaroli's pasta. Others have raved about it, so I was finally going to make my way to Germantown and get some for myself.

Lazzaroli's is a little market that's actually not far from the Farmer's Market. And for so long, I thought it was hard to get to! Not so. But you don't let size fool you. Tom's got a lot of stuff in there. It was great to chat with him, but I kept getting distracted by all of the great items he sells aside from the pasta. June Taylor jams, the full line of Olive and Sinclair chocolate bars, Silke's breads, and a large collection of fine oils and other kitchen essentials.

Though I picked up some marmalade and chocolate, I was there for the pasta. I got a pound of fresh fettucine and a pound of frozen shiitake mushroom and fontina ravioli (there are two cases--one fresh, one frozen). I also picked up some of Lazzaroli's roasted pepper cream sauce as it sounded like something my poor little body could handle.

So I got home with my bag of goodies and cooked up a batch of fettucine. I wasn't ready yet to take any chances, so I just poured on some good olive oil and a touch of truffle oil and shaved parmigiano (and, okay, a pinch of fleur de sel) and sat down for dinner. Delicious. There is nothing like a really good, fresh egg pasta. Mother and baby both enjoyed dinner immensely (as we were both able to sleep).

So, Friday, I took some leftover noodles with the roasted pepper sauce on them for lunch. It's not the best way to enjoy fresh pasta, but they held up remarkably well to the abuse. And that sauce has a great flavor. And didn't hurt my stomach.

Anyway, I have a feeling that Tom's going to be seeing a lot more of me, particularly until I can get around to making my own pasta again. And I've spread the word to some of my Yankee Italian co-workers, too. They're very happy to know that they can have pasta here after all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda said...

Ooh. I feel your pain. Support hose are your friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out. I hope the next few weeks goes by fast and your little one comes early.
I was plagued with edema towards the end as well - not fun!
And, I've been meeting to get to the pasta man myself - maybe while I'm on leave I'll make it there.
Happy Holidays.

Unknown said...

Happy New Year to and yours, and your bun in the oven!

Anonymous said...

一葉晴貼影片區85cc免費a片試看微風辣妹論壇短片區免費卡通影片線上觀看線上aa片試看嘟嘟av104金瓶影片交流區後宮-成人影片航海王h短片分享情色視訊辣妹girl5320av短片免費看視訊交友iccav女優影片正妹百人斬blog隋棠寫真集色妹妹圖貼電話交友打炮遊戲性愛圖貼

almostvegetarian.com said...

I don't have acid reflux, but I do do the ulcer boogie once in a blue moon, so I have some suggestions which might help.

Try chewing gum (avoid mint which can exacerbate the situation, better to chew cinnamon or something along those lines) or sucking a hard candy. The point is to generate saliva which, when you naturally swallow, is soothing.

You can also eat acid-absorbing foods. Bread / carbs always works for me as does (and damned if I know why) lettuce.

Sitting or standing is better than laying down, but if you must recline, try laying on your let side instead of your right (if you can prop pillow under yourself, that would be better).

And make sure to have at least a little something in your tum at all times. An empty tummy is an acidic playground.

Feel better.