Friday, July 30, 2010

Tayst

Thanks to Grammy Eats, Mr. Eats and I got to have another lovely date night out. We decided to join another couple and go to the recently-remodeled Tayst.

My only other trip to Tayst was about three years ago when I had just a mediocre experience; not bad, but not great and not good enough for me to feel the need to go again. However, chef/owner Jeremy Barlow reached out to me several months ago and suggested I try again.

Right away, I noticed a remarkable improvement to the interior. I love red, but the previous red walls were a little suffocating. The updated interior looks a bit more inviting and much less severe. The space is still cozy, which means you may have some traffic by your table but it's not so confined that you feel you are dining with your neighbors.

Tayst is a green-certified restaurant, using local meats and produce as often as possible and operating with care for the environment in mind. It's because of this, that the restaurant gets a pass with me for the foie gras as I typically do not patronize restaurants that offer it. My hope is that it is produced ethically (which is possible). If this is a concern for you, a quick call or email is all it takes; they're very helpful.

The food! I decided to go with the $40 tasting menu option in hopes of getting something special (had I ordered vegetarian items separately, I could have gotten three courses for less than $40) and I was not disappointed. After a teaser of white bean hummus (I believe), I was presented with a "tayst" of the tomato salad--wonderfully ripe cherry tomatoes with goat cheese and basil topped with a fine balsamic vinegar.

Next up was my favorite part of the entire meal--a sheep's milk flan topped with locally-grown roasted artichoke hearts and blackberries. The flan was so rich and savory (and delicious) that I took tiny bites to make it last as long as possible. But even tiny bites filled my mouth with flavor. And the artichoke was roasted perfectly--each bite almost melted in my mouth. The blackberries provided a small sweet oasis. This is not on the menu, but if it's available when you go, I highly recommend it.

For my main "tayst," I had the menu's vegetarian entree of grilled yard beans (long beans) with purple rice, squash, zucchini, roasted beets, and a butter bean puree. I loved the combination of flavors--particularly the long beans and purple rice. Though beets aren't really my thing, so the earthiness of two was about all I could handle (Mr. Eats gladly helped out with the remaining beets).

I finished up with dessert--the Krispy Kreme donut bread pudding. I apologize for the lack of picture, though I assure you it's a lovely presentation. Included is a donut shape, the donut hole and a coffee milkshake. The donut/coffee pairing works well together (and makes sense) according to Mr. Eats, but I'm not a coffee drinker, so I skipped it. So my bread pudding was a tad dry. I would have liked to have a version of the Krispy Kreme glaze on there.

However, my sweet tooth was plenty satisfied with the two cherry limeade cocktails I had from their summer menu. Ohhhh, so good (better that Sonic--and fewer calories, I'm sure). The new summer menu offers fun cocktails as well as small plates that are available only in the bar area. With items priced between $2 and $5, it's a great way to get a small "tayst" of what the restaurant has to offer. I have to say I'm intrigued by the roasted peach and the caramelized cheese. Though apparently, I need to go soon as the bar menu changes frequently. Peaches are almost done for the season!

Tayst
615-383-1953
2100 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37212
5-10PM Tuesday-Thursday
5-11PM Friday & Saturday
Bar opens at 4PM

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad you had a good Taste at Tayst. I really like the new brighter interior. I like the green-cert too, and there are so many things they have done that is not appearent (like the volatile compound free paint) that makes dining that much better. I have to find time to go back to Tayst again.

The Beaudoins said...

Why is foie gras any worse for a restaurant to carry than any other organ or meat product? Just curious.