Thursday, January 27, 2022

Vegetarian Beer Cheese Soup

 Originally published December 13, 2011


I'll be honest--I hadn't ever heard of beer cheese soup until a few months ago. Apparently, it's a thing in Wisconsin. They take it seriously. And it must be topped with popcorn. And it's been in the back of my mind ever since I first tasted it.

So I consulted the Google for recipes and found two things that I found displeasing:
1. A list of ingredients including carrots, celery and onions (really, just a mirepoix as a base). I do not like celery. I will not buy it or eat it.
2. A list of ingredients that included Worcestershire sauce which, many people do not realize, is not vegetarian (anchovies!).

I also discovered a fair number of cheater recipes that used cream of chicken soup. Again, no thanks. Besides, I thought to myself, isn't this soup supposed to be pretty much beer and cheese with a little kick? Yes, self. Yes, it is.

So, what does this have to do with Tomato Week II: Tomatwo? Well, my real inspiration for the soup was this can of RedGold tomatoes with chilies I had that I figured would add just the right amount of kick (I admit to being a bit of a wimp where chilies are concerned) and create a really good base for the soup. No need for all that cutting and chopping and...and...celery. ::shudder::

Make a roux, add some broth, some beer, and some cheese (plus a little flavor boost) and that's it. Beer cheese soup. It's that simple.



Almost. There are a few key things to note.

First, use good cheese. I found the best was a combination of half havarti and half extra, extra sharp yellow cheddar. This yielded a nice, creamy texture but still had a nice bite from the cheddar.

Second, use good beer. I used Blackstone Nut Brown Ale (made right here in Nashville). This is not a beer I'd ever drink because it's heavy and strong, but it was the perfect beer for this soup. A dark ale, a stout...not a light beer. Don't bother.

Third, unless you're some sort of roux savant, you're going to get teeny tiny lumps from the flour even with the sifting and the whisking. Either don't be bothered by it or get out the immersion blender (like I did). I am, however, open to suggestions as to how to avoid the lumps. They're not that bad, though. Just a little visually displeasing. Still delicious. [Update: see Glenna's comment below for a great tip on how to avoid souplumps.]

So, if you're wondering, "should I make this soup?", the answer is yes. I've gotten positive reviews from lovers of both cheese and beer, from people who like cheese but not beer, and even from people who do not like creamy soups. And the alcohol cooks out, so it's family-friendly!

Vegetarian Beer Cheese Soup
serves 4-8, about 2 quarts

4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup diced onions
1 can RedGold petite diced tomatoes with green chilies (10 or 14.5 oz)
1/3 cup flour, sifted
1 12-ounce bottle of dark beer
2 cups vegetable broth
4 cups (about a pound) shredded cheese (half sharp cheddar, half havarti)
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
salt and pepper to taste
paprika to garnish

In a large saucepan or stock pot over medium-high heat, combine the onions and olive oil and saute until transluscent. Add the diced tomatoes. Once heated, slowly add the flour, whisking briskly to avoid lumping.

Slowly add the beer, then broth, and Liquid Smoke. When the liquid begins to simmer, add the cheese by handfuls, stirring until completely melted.

Add salt and pepper to taste and paprika to garnish.

No comments: