Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pasta Primavera

Pasta Primavera is one of those meals that is so easy and delicious but I just never think about making. But the other night, I wanted something light and flavorful, so I got inspired. Bear with me, though. I took a few liberties and this isn't quite a traditional version.

Pasta Primavera

1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash, both sliced in quarter-inch slices and the cut longways into quarter-inch wide pieces
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
Dried Italian herbs or Herbs de Provence
Kosher or sea salt
4 ounces organic white mushrooms, sliced
1 ounce diced onions
1/2 - 1 pound farfalle (bowtie) pasta
Artichoke hearts packed in light oil and herbs
1 ounce finely shredded SarVecchio™ paremesan cheese

Spread zucchini, squash, pepper, and carrot in a large roasting dish and mix with oil and herbs (a light covering) with a sprinkle of salt and roast in a preheated oven at 450° for about 20 minutes or until they just start to brown a bit. Stir halfway through.

Cook the farfalle according to the directions for al dente, drain and set aside in a large bowl.

Sauté mushrooms and onion in a skillet with a bit of olive oil and place in the bowl of pasta.

Once the vegetables are roasted, put them in the bowl of pasta, scraping out all the oil and herbs. Add a couple of separated artichoke hearts and the parmesan cheese and mix the pasta to combine all the ingredients.

I was only cooking for two people, so I only used half a smallish zucchini and squash and only about a quarter of a red pepper I had in the freezer. And, okay, I totally skipped the carrot because I was in no mood to chop or shred a carrot. What can I say...Regardless, this was a light and flavorful meal that when started with a salad was actually quite healthy. The SarVecchio™ cheese is not a terribly traditional parmesan. It's got quite a unique but very delicious flavor that really adds a lot to this dish. Though I can't confirm it from the information on the website, the formaggiaio at Whole Foods told me it's a vegetarian cheese (not made with animal-based rennet). I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture is gorgeous. I wish I had some for lunch! :)

Lesley said...

Thanks! It was really very good. You ought to try the SarVecchio. ;)

Almost Vegetarian said...

Okay. Put it in an envelope and drop it in the mail. Go ahead. Right now. Yes now.

I'm hungry.

Cheers!

michael, claudia and sierra said...

you weren't in the mood to chop one stinkin' carrot???

you're grounded. or something.

sigh...