Thursday, February 14, 2008

You say Roesti, I say Rosti

I'm not Swiss, but I was recently faced with the challenge of what to do with a heaping pile of shredded potatoes and shredded cheese after helping a friend test graters (more on that when I'm able to reveal our findings). Though I don't typically take my hash browns scattered, smothered and covered, I opted to try out a rosti with my bounty of free shredded stuff.

Rosti with cheese

• 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold (or other waxy potato), peeled and shredded
• 1/4 cup finely diced onions
• 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or other savory cheese)
• salt
• pepper

1. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a 9 or 10 inch frying pan (preferably non-stick). Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour olive oil and onion mixture over shredded potatoes in a large bowl and stir to coat the potatoes. Mix in shredded cheese and salt and pepper to taste (at least 1/2 teaspoon of salt; pepper optional).

2. Heat three tablespoons of oil in the same saucepan over medium heat and add potato mixture. Tamp down and form into a cake and cook until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and heat three more tablespoons of oil in the skillet. Invert the plate of potatoes or flip over with a spatula to cook the other side of the cake. Should take about 7-10 minutes for each side.

Sounds tasty, no? It is. And not terribly healthy, particularly with the skins from the potatoes removed. But not every dinner can be 100% healthy. Or 100% perfect. As you might be able to see from the photo, my rosti got a little too rosti. I'm not sure if I had the heat up too high or if I just wasn't paying attention to the time, but it got past golden brown and well into charcoal black in some places. But it was still good. The parts I was able to salvage, that is.

The rosti was served as a side dish for some Quorn Naked Cutlets marinated in Drew's All Natural Sesame Orange Marinade. A little steamed broccoli rounded out this very flavorful (and easy) meal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy Lesley! BTW, Rick and I went to Fulin's last Saturday night. Unfortunately, we were again fooled by Fulin's. Michael wasn't working and we got a waiter who obviously wanted to be somewhere else. I asked him the difference between the Szechuan tofu and the Kung Pao tofu and he looked at me like I just asked him to do a handstand on our table. Finally he said, "uhh, I think one is spicer than the other?" I really and truly give up on that place for good now. We'll try Miss Saigon instead next time we're in the mood for Oriental .

Lesley said...

Oh no! Fuled again! Now I fear that when I go back, that will happen to me.

At least with Miss Saigon, you know that once you get your food, you won't ever see a server again. I'm tempted to start bringing my own jug of water when I go there.

Unknown said...

Lesley, I would have eaten all the charry crispy parts of the dish. It looks really good to me! Yummy!

Tabitha said...

I just drooled on my keyboard