Monday, February 25, 2008

Someone noticed...

...that I don't like carrots. There are lots of vegetables that I don't like, but when I was growing up, my mother stuck a carrot in my hand at least three times a week. I was scarred. Kids these days have it so easy with their baby carrots. Back in my day, I had to suffer full-grown carrots with their bitter cores and all. Complaints fell on deaf ears.

Though I did have a choice: eat the carrot before dinner or after dinner. But the only time I had reprieve from eating the carrot was the ever-so-welcome summer when I instead had to water-log my kid-belly with half a cantaloupe to get my vitamins. Luckily, I can still somewhat enjoy a cantaloupe. A full size carrot? No. I can't really even stomach a baby carrot. I buy bags of them with good intentions only to see them get slimy and rotted on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. I will occasionally slip some into a lasagna, tofu noodle salad or eat the artfully-carved carrot garnish at the local Thai restaurant, but for the most part, I leave carrots to the rabbits. I know; I'm a bad vegetarian.

Related: the truth about baby carrots.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

I wonder if I'm doing the same thing to my kids!

Lesley said...

Disclaimer: not all kids (or vegetarians) are like me. :)

michael, claudia and sierra said...

i refuse to comment...
there.
i commented.

ok here's more

your last post did not speak of an aversion, merely lazy cooking which when it comes to ONE CARROT i can certainly not let that one go.

because what fun would THAT be?

Lesley said...

Claudia--my excuse was partly true. The truth is I could not find a single carrot for sale at the particular market I went to; only bags or bunches. And I just didn't want to buy that many carrots, so I professed laziness instead of general disdain. I will never tell a lie again...I always get caught. :)