Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Truth About Hummus

A favorite local lunch spot of mine serves really good hummus. Usually the standard garlic plus a selection of flavored ones such as spinach pesto and chipotle (isn't chipotle passé now?). Anyway, I figured the other day, hey, hummus is just mashed chickpeas and a little other stuff; I can make that! So I did. First, here's a basic recipe:

One can (14-15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4-6 ounces of tahini (to taste--I like more; get tahini at the Mediterranean grocery, Wild Oats/Whole Foods, or the hippie aisle at the Kroger)
2-4 ounces of lemon juice (to taste--I like more)
2 ounces water
2 cloves of minced garlic (or two tablespoons of the already-minced garlic--in oil or water)
2-3 hearty pinches of cumin (to taste)

Blend all ingredients and garnish with extra virgin olive oil and kalamata olives.

Here's what the recipes don't tell you.

1. You really ought to do this in a good food processor. I don't have one, so I used my blender. And I think I nearly burned out the motor. Maybe doing half that recipe at a time would have been a better idea. Until I get aforementioned food processor.

2. You can add other ingedients for a nice flavored hummus. One recipe called for roasted red peppers packed in oil. What that recipe didn't mention is that those peppers still retain a lot of moisture, so once you've added enough to get the flavor, your consistency isn't right. It was a little runny, though it tasted good. Again, probably would have been a good idea to cut the recipe in half and make the first one standard and then leave out the added water in the recipe for the roasted red pepper version. Maybe even cut back on the lemon juice. Or I could have roasted my own pepper in the toaster oven and tried it. It would not have been as juicy.

3. Fifteen ounces of chickpeas plus another twelve ounces of other ingredients yields a lot of hummus. A lot. As in, enough to feed more than ten people. Ten hummus-loving people. Maybe 14-16 standard hummus-liking people. So ignore any recipe you find calling for more than one can of chickpeas unless you're preparing it for a large party or perhaps an army.

Now I'm off to make some care packages of roasted red pepper hummus for unsuspecting friends and neighbors. Drive-by hummussing.

8 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

i love it when you cook...

Anonymous said...

you left out cumin (about 1/2 - 1 tsp, olive oil instead of the water you used and salt and pepper of course. I prefer white pepper instead of black, 1/2 tsp or so with the recipe portion you list.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Also for those who have a hard time finding tahini (like me in southern Italy), peanut butter works as a pretty good substitute :)

Lesley said...

Nashveggie: you're right, I did actually add three pinches of cumin. I add the oil (extra virgin) as a garnish.

b.e.: I'm sure the peanut butter really would have burned out my blender's motor!

Unknown said...

Hi Lesley, Congrats on making Hummas! Good Job! It is really easy to make, and I am guessing that you will continue to make hummus now instead of buying prepackaged stuff. I have made hummus from dried chickpeas, and while soaking them over night, I added sliced garlic and a bay leaf in the water. I then boiled the chickpeas with more sliced garlic and a bay leaf. The hummus came out really garlicky, the way I like it. I also made mine kinda lumpy and stiffer than you get commercially, and probably would burn out a blender. Anyway, starting from dry seems to allow for a deeper flavor into the hummus.

Lesley said...

Lannae--thanks for the tips! Though I'd love a tip on how to retain the garlic flavor without actually having garlic in it. Days later and I still have garlic breath.

Melissa said...

funny, i also made a batch of hummus this weekend. i roasted a whole head of garlic and then threw it in the cuisinart with everything else, which adds a nice mellow garlic flavor rather than the sharp taste you get from raw garlic.

Anonymous said...

Amen on that garlic breath problem. I made lemon tahini dressing for tonight's salad. Strong. With my nifty pressure cooker, I make huge batches of chick peas for huge batches of hummus because it freezes pretty darn well. You sometimes have to sling in a little fresh parsley and lemon juice to pep it up. And maybe the red pepper could cover any freezer flavor.