Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fried Green Bananas

No, not a typo. Yes, fried green bananas.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at my local grocery and as usual, bought a bunch of bananas. And, as usual, they were green. I loathe green bananas and prefer my bananas to be yellow and freckled at the very least. Underripe bananas make my teeth hurt.

So I waited for them to ripen. And waited. And ended up buying some ripe ones last weekend from McNeil's. And yesterday it occurred to me that these things were never going to make it to a point where I'd find them edible. And they were so green that no human would find them edible now. So what does one do with green bananas? Google told me to fry them. After reading all the glowing reviews, I decided to try it.

First, I had to cut open the bananas. They were so green, they could not be peeled. And just to make sure that the skins weren't deceiving me, I tried a bite of one. Yick. So I proceeded to cut them into small slices, about the size of half a home fry. I didn't want them to be too thin and therefore higher in calories.

I poured some canola and peanut oil in the bottom of a pan--about 3/4 inch deep--and heated it on a high-ish medium high setting. Once it was good and hot, I dropped in the first fries. It didn't take long for them to start browning, but they had a tendency to stick together, so the frying required some monitoring (and poking). After just a few minutes, I took them out and placed them on a paper towel to absorb excess oil. I repeated for six bananas worth of fries. Pictured is only about three bananas' worth. I like big bananas (I can not lie...).

Instead of eating them with something sweet or plain, the SO and I decided to salt and pepper those little bad boys up and dip them in a little ketchup. And just like the reviews say, they were delicious. We polished off a whole lot of fries. Yay, banana fries! Not quite as unhealthy as potato fries!

So, yay, right? Hang on just a second. Here's where I tell you the rest of the story. First, deep frying these bananas caused quite a bit of smoke to develop. I didn't see it actually forming but realized what was happening when my eyes started burning. Little bits had gotten left in the oil and started smoking (and were very charred by the end). Maybe this is an outside job. Luckily, I got that storm door with the panel that opens for ventilation.

Second, remember how I said it was six bananas? Six large bananas? Split between two people? If you've never tasted a really green banana, the texture is very cellulose-y, fibrous...woody, even. Do you see where I'm going with this? We ate what felt like (hours later) a pound of deep fried tree branches. Fiber is good for you and all, but indigestible fiber...not so much. I think that eating about half of what we did (or maybe a quarter) would have been smarter. But they were so good! So deep-frying the green bananas is a good way to use them up, but keep your consumption limited to a small portion. Unless you enjoy feeling like you have part of a tree in your gut.

11 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

yikes -
BUT i'm sure i would've liked them... fried anything is always a treat.

Anonymous said...

Damn skippy you wait till they're yellow all over with a few dots on them!

I knew I heart you for many reasons! Now you can chalk up "eating bananas in the state they're supposed to be eaten" on there.

Anonymous said...

interesting! Personally, I like to fry my bananas in honey for desert. YUM! Tom and I split one banana though.

John said...

If you have (or can borrow) a dehyrdrator, slightly green bananas are much better for making banana chips -- and homemade banana chips are much better for you than the store-bought time, which are coated with oil.

Slice the bananas with a hard-boiled egg slicer and dunk the slices in a solution of Fruit Fresh before you put them into the dehydrator.

John said...

Should have read "the store-bought kind," not "time." I was distracted by something.

Lesley said...

cef: you would have definitely enjoyed them. And you have better self control than myself, so you wouldn't have overdone it, I'm sure.

Tab: Ripe banana eaters unite!

Nicole: carmelized bananas were my back up plan if the fries were bad. But I still didn't think about the volume of bananas I was dealing with. Oopsie.

John: I don't have a dehydrator, but I bet they are nice. Wonder if it would have been useful for the green ones since they weren't terribly hydrated to begin with!

Jane said...

They sound great Lesley and if I try them I promise not to have that much!! Thanks for the great idea though, I've never heard of fried green bananas before.

Unknown said...

it sounds like some green plantains got mixed up in the banana bin.

if you end up getting (overly) green bananas again try cooking them like green plantains. they are great boiled and mashed or, my favorite, making tostones. cut up the plantain or green banana into inch chunks and fry them 'till golden on both sides. then, mash them slightly so the middle mushes out the sides. then, fry again quickly to deepen the golden color.
serve with a garlic/tomato/mayo sauce.

Frodosdojo said...

These are supposed to be a nice treat for diabetics. Some diabetics cannot handle the sugar in regular bananas, but a more fibrous banana doesn't raise the blood sugar as bad.

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!