Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Popsicles

The coupons promised by the Earthbound Farms rep arrived quite promptly. Two coupons for any Earthbound Farms product for free. So I am thinking of sucking it up and heading to Whole Foods to take advantage of these lovely gifts and not waste them on four dollars worth of salad greens.

I haven't posted much in the way of recipes here lately because I haven't really been preparing anything new. I really should branch out a bit as I am stuck in a bit of a rut.

However, I did take the opportunity this past weekend to make some popsicles. I'd been promising them to the SO for a while and finally found the energy to prepare them. It's not difficult; it's just that I hate washing my blender. Anyhoo.

I started out with my personal favorite, the chocolate banana popsicle (banana + chocolate = yum). I'd love to give you a recipe for it, but I just sort of throw stuff in a blender and test it until I like it. I start out with a fresh or frozen banana, add in a few heaping tablespoons of (organic) yogurt (for creaminess, though I'm sure soy milk would be just as good), a small handful of chocolate chips, a pinch or two of cocoa powder, a drop of vanilla extract (because the yogurt was plain yogurt) and about four drops (or a little more) of liquid stevia (far better for sweetening than sugar or chemical sweeteners). I blend it all up and pour it in the popsicle mold. The mold I have holds about two cups worth of mix, but they vary. You can add a little water or soy milk to stretch your mix a bit.

Next up, I made strawberry honey popsicles (sorry, y'all--again, not vegan). I used frozen strawberries and some local honey, blended them up with a little water and one tablespoon of yogurt and that was it. No stevia needed for extra sweetness. I really like the balance I was able to achieve and hope to get it the next time since I didn't bother to measure. Eh.

The last batch was just a little mixed berries and cream. I have a lot of frozen berries in the freezer and I'm not the biggest fan of raspberries, so mixing them with blueberries and blackberries made for a winner. I added several tablespoons of yogurt, a drop of vanilla, and a few drops of stevia to these as well. They're pretty dense, though. I probably should have added a splash or two of carbonated water. Next time.

I have a few peaches in the fridge that started to get overripe before I could finish them, so I think the next popsicles will be peaches and honey or maybe peaches and cream. And after that? Either blackberry lemon or blueberry lemon. If you have any suggestions for flavors to combine with frozen blackberries or blueberries, let me know. I've got enough to do some experimenting, for sure.

6 comments:

Diana said...

All sounds great! What about blackberry-mint? I didn't think I was all that crazy about fruity mint stuff until I had some sort of blackberry mint cocktail somewhere. Also, what about adding red wine? Would that freeze okay?

Lesley said...

Ooohhhhh...sangria popsicles! Great idea!!!!

Anonymous said...

What about a mojito flavor or lavender or rosewater pistachio? Or how about a chocolate flavored popscicle with a little chili to spice things up?

Lesley said...

VV--those are great suggestions, too! I never would have thought of combining rosewater and pistachio, so I think I'll give that a whirl soon. I'll let you know!

Anonymous said...

We made strawberry lemonade popsicles that were great. And I love blueberries and peaches together -- it's a good combination, but the color may be unappealing. Maybe if you pureed them separately and swirled them rather than mixing them together.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

too lazy to wash the blender?

there are people in africa with no blenders at all, lesley...

i like the idea of herbs mixed with fruit... very grown up.