Saturday, August 16, 2008

Popsicles and tomatoes

Not much new around the kitchen this week...Monday night, I enjoyed a delicious dinner over at Claudia's house. She'd inadvertently used more chili flakes than I had a taste for in a lovely citrus farro dish, so using what I'd learned from a friend of mine at work (who cools her mother's spicy Indian food with homemade yoghurt), I asked if there was any dairy around. Turns out, Claudia had a yummy Greek yogurt in the fridge that was a lovely complement to her dish. I felt like a real foodie (for once) in suggesting something that actually worked well. I gave myself a nice pat on the back.

I'm still enjoying the tomato bounty around here...I've had several versions of bruschetta and several margherita pizzas. Today, I will likely have a tomato sandwich and hey, guess what, margherita pizza for dinner. The Momster is in town, so leftover tomatoes will be going with her. The Significant Omnivore and I are headed to Seattle Tuesday, so we have to clean out the fresh produce. There might be one or two tomatoes left. Might. I'll see what I can save because Mom's tomato plants in Memphis haven't been doing as well as my friends' plants here in middle Tennessee.

This week, I was also able to catch Throwdown with Bobby Flay, which featured Las Paletas. Interestingly enough, Bobby made sangria popsicles (which had been suggested to me in a previous post). I've not yet made them, but did take the suggestion to make the bluberry peach popsicles. You wouldn't think that combination would be all that remarkable, but they are really good. Regardless of that, since seeing the episode, the SO is now very keen on going to Las Paletas. Lucky for him, I can actually find the place. Actually, when it's really hot out, it's not that hard to find--you just drive down 12 South until you see a parking lot full of people eating popsicles.

We'll be in Seattle for about five days...the SO plans to eat plenty of things that once swam, but if anyone has suggestions on places to go that serve great food that comes from the soil instead of the sea, please let me know.

4 comments:

Diana said...

No helpful suggestions for Seattle from this corner--I've never been. Jon has family up there, though, so we're going in October. Have a great trip!

I bought popsicle molds! Blueberry peach sounds heavenly. I'm going to have to catch up.

Wes said...

Do you find it weird there is no trace of the Las Paletas episode on the Food Network website? Also, the magic Comcast schedule did not have the right description.

Anonymous said...

Oh you're going to eat so many great meals -- the things that swim are so incredible there. Report back soon.

Anonymous said...

So who won the throw down?