Friday, August 8, 2008

Tomato Time

Seems as though this year's tomato harvest is pretty good. This might've been my year had I not decided to put my heart and soul into growing tomatoes only to see them devoured by critters like I did for the previous two years. Luckily, I have friends who didn't give up and have enough to share!

Look at those beautiful babies. Shauna's been growing some really nifty heirlooms and Crystal has been growing juicy Romas and slicers. Between the two of them, I've got a good stock of 'maters.

So last night, I didn't have a lot of energy, but didn't feel like restaurant food, so the SO fed himself some not dogs and chips and I set about trying to figure out how to eat some tomatoes (he doesn't much care for tomatoes; insanity, I know).

And then it hit me: bruschetta. I plucked out that purple guy, the zebra, a peach tomato, and a roma, sliced them up, drained them, heated them a bit, added a little EVOO, a dash of balsamic vinegar, crushed garlic, chopped basil, and salt and pepper and voila, bruschetta topping. I spooned generous amounts on slices of my favorite Provence Organic Grains bread and that was dinner. I didn't take photos of the finished product, but the array of color was beautiful and the taste was amazing. Very bright and bursting with flavor.

Tonight, I'll make a margherita pizza; this weekend, I'll make salsa. I'm truly enjoying this bounty of fresh tomatoes. I'm so glad my friends are willing and able to share!

2 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

tis the season!

Catherine Weber said...

What beautiful tomatoes -- lucky you! Your bruschetta sounds like one satisfying summer dinner, if you ask me.