Monday, September 29, 2008

Not a recipe (again)

It's been a while since I posted a bona fide recipe of any kind. I've been making food at home, but I'm still in the rut. But fall weather and autumn vegetables (okay, gourds) are upon us, so there's hope for something new on the horizon. I project being burned out on squashes again this year.

Anyhoo, I don't know how many of you have been to a restaurant in the last couple of weeks, but if you have, you're in a minority. We've been out twice in the last week and noticed a definite decline in patronage. Business seems to be brisk at the cheaper, low-end places I rarely, if ever, deign to dine in, but it's not great at some of the better and independent places. I hope things turn around soon and people feel confident in spending money again because I'd hate to see any of my favorite places go out of business. In particular, what I've decided is my favorite restaurant, Los Rosales--the restaurant I chose for my birthday celebration this year. Ah, how nice it is to celebrate my birthday in an authentic Mexican restaurant where I have no worries of having a sombrero hoisted upon me and a chorus of Feliz Cumpleanos sung to me by an unamused staff. Yes, I did work at El Chico when I was a teenager; why do you ask?

So if you live in Nashville or anywhere around, please stop by. Don't go to Cinco de Mayo yet again. Leave the neighborhood and La Paz behind. And try the enchiladas verdes this time. And don't forget to have the guacamole. It's actually fresh-made; not that green goo that comes out at the order-by-number Tex Mex joints. I ask you this as a personal favor because I want this place to be around for a long time. Because I'm not making stuffed avocadoes at home. Or any of the seafood dishes that the Significant Omnivore so loves.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I finally made it to Los Rosales a few weeks back after hearing so many great reviews. YUM! If you're ever free for a lunch excursion, let me know.

Anonymous said...

We discovered Los Rosales via your blog. We, too (as my husband and I share the same birthday), celebrated our birthdays there. It's one of our faves. We certainly hope it can keep its doors open. I joke that I'm their unofficial PR person as I've taken to passing out their business cards to friends and colleagues. I've never enjoyed Mexican cuisine in a restaurant and I can honestly say that it's one of my favorites in Nashville.

Diana said...

I third the Los Rosales rec. We live too close not to go there whenever the mood for Mexican hits us. Its quality and great service have shamed us out of every other place.

Any Little Reason said...

It's hard for me to go anywhere but Rosepepper, since it's in walking distance to my house, but I do love Los Rosales and everything they have to offer!