Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pasta e fagioli

I still have well over eight pounds of various peas and beans in the house. Some fresh, some dried, all legumes.

So, thinking that the Significant Omnivore was tired of having cornbread and squash with the legumes, I decided to branch out a bit with a batch of October beans. It didn't take long for me to decide to do some pasta e fagioli with these very sturdy beans, but just how should I do it? There are eleventy billion recipes for pasta e fagioli, so instead of following a recipe, I just looked around the kitchen a bit to see what I could come up with. Sciuè sciuè.

What I decided on was a filetto di pomodoro since I had big Bradley tomato and a couple of Romas from my neighbor's garden. Bradley tomatoes are hearty and sweet and (I think) are excellent tomatoes to use for a fresh tomato "sauce." And, hey wouldn't you know it, but this sauce being cooked over at Claudia's place recently as well. When life hands you tomatoes....

Along with the tomatoes, I had a couple of fresh lemons, an onion, garlic, and fresh rosemary. I put the garlic and fresh rosemary in a pan with some extra virgin olive oil and let it infuse a bit and then put the diced tomatoes and some minced onion in the oil mixture. After just a couple of minutes, I took it off the heat and squeezed the juice of a lemon on it and topped it off with some sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Voilà (ecco?), filleto di pomodoro sciuè sciuè.

I spooned the sauce over a mix of the cooked October beans and some grocery store gemelli (next time I will go to Lazzaroli's!) and served it with a few slices of sautéed polenta. Squisita!

3 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

filetto di pomodoro is making a comeback!!! yesssssss....

sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Okay but was it ever so slightly bland? That's been my problem with pasta fazool -- a little bland. What am I doing wrong?

HangryPants said...

I love seeing how other people make the same dish! Your version is slightly different than mine, so I am going to have to try it soon!