Saturday, November 28, 2009

Suzy Wong's House of Yum

A couple of weeks ago, Husband and I finally tried out Arnold Myint's latest restaurant, Suzy Wong's House of Yum. I've decided this man can do no wrong. I love his food. My only complaint is that the steamed bun is only available with barbeque pork with no vegetarian option. But I shall live. I'm currently in posession of an uncorrected proof of Momofuku that includes a recipe for bao, but guess what? The last line of that recipe: TK. [For those not in the biz, that means "to come." D'oh!].

Anyhoo, I have little energy for words and since pictures are worth a thousand, I'll just let them tell the story...some of it.

Vegetable Summer Rolls

Curried Tofu and Potato Pockets
My favorite of the bunch.

Vegetable Gyoza Pot Stickers

Steamed BBQ Pork Bao Bun
Sadly, no vegetarian version. To some, a vegetarian bao is sacrilege, but I think something good could be stuffed in there. I did pinch off a little of the bun. Tasty.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Wontons with caramel sauce
Unbelievably delicious.



Inside, the restaurant is a bit New York-y. Tables are close together and it's pretty "hip"--it has to be; it's in that strip of clubs on Church Street where, um, style matters. Let's just say that. There's also a place outside that I hope you will find me this summer--a great little courtyard and even an area with couches for lounging. Even though it was a bit chilly when we went, a few people were enjoying the outdoor space because it's so nice. Can't wait to try it out! Though I suppose by then there will be no pumpkin cheesecake wontons. *sigh*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...

I love Suzy Wong's! Those Vegetable Gyoza Pot Stickers are one of my favorites. I haven't yet tried the potato pockets, so need to give them a go...
And pumpkin cheesecake wontons?? You know Erin would die for those. I wonder if they are still on the menu?

Once you pop that baby out and spring arrives, we should have a Bites meetup on the patio!

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering how House of Yum is. I have wanted to go. Love the review.

Lesley said...

Ooh, a Bites meetup in the spring is a great idea!

Nicole--I hope you get to go soon! But it'll still be there when you're ready to go out to eat again. We did see a small child in there and infants can go anywhere, right? :)

ErinsFoodFiles said...

p-p-p-Pumpkin Cheesecake?!? Ooooh! I've been dying to go to Suzy Wong's. Great post!

mIKES said...

jing char siu bau in Nashville?

I'm in.