Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Vegan dining in Memphis

The Memphis Commercial Appeal has a nice feature on vegan dining options in Memphis. Be sure to read not just the article, but the comments as well. Certainly, some comments--like those on just about every newspaper site--are, um, unhelpful but a number offer a couple of other options.

I grew up in Memphis, so I'm happy to see that not only are vegetarian options expanding (I had some difficulty when I moved back in 2000 as a new vegetarian) but that there are vegan options, too. I'm disappointed that Imagine Cafe has chosen primarily to make vegan versions of traditionally critter-centric foods, but I suppose that's either what they like to eat or they think it will be the best way to get non-vegans in the door. But my experience has been that non-veg*ns are best converted with foods that really taste great but are also (hey!) veg*n. Prime example: Pure Food & Wine in New York City. Y'know, except without the hefty price tag.

But I'm really glad to see Fuel Cafe getting some love. I've mentioned before that I'm a fan. So if you're in Memphis or are going for a visit, try to give some of these guys a try.

UPDATE: Many thanks to Morgan of Nashvillest for noting that I Love Memphis blog just posted "11 Ways To Eat Meat-Free in Memphis" yesterday. I missed that and it is a fantastic list. It's got a list of vegan and vegetarian (often shortened to "veg*n," if you've ever wondered what that means). Though I'd like to note a few vegetarian favorites of mine that didn't get mentioned:

1. Panda Garden--fantastic vegetable soup and you can get spring rolls vegetarian if you request them. It's nice that they're made to order. And they're baby-friendly.

2. Raffe's Deli--the Veggie Delight is my favorite; it's just a muffuletta without the meat and a few things added. Their falafel is wonderful, too.

3. The Majestic Grille--several veg*n-friendly items and adding more all the time. Their french fries are small, crisp and delicious. Be sure to get them. Also, this place is baby-friendly.

4. Memphis Pizza Cafe--one of the places I miss most.

5. Okay, there are just too many to list and so many new places! Coming soon, I hope: a review of Three Angels Diner. In short: Memphis is getting more veg-friendly, despite being the barbecue capital of the world. And despite what you read in the comments section of commercialappeal.com.

6 comments:

Nashvillest said...

Kind of bizarre they post that a day after I Love Memphis posts a roundup of veg*n places - http://ilovememphisblog.com/2011/05/veg-out-11-ways-to-eat-meat-free-in-memphis/

Either way, I'm glad to have a list of places to hit next time I'm there.

Nashvillest said...

I also can't figure out how to comment on your blog without switching google accounts before I visit, so whatever. This is Morgan, obvs.

Lesley said...

Thanks for that tip, Morgan! I updated the post. And added a few more of my favorites.

Janna Renee said...

I live in Colorado Springs and we don't have a lot of healthy options, but Manitou Springs is right down the road and they have a few local gems!!

Lesley said...

@Janna Renee I've heard that about Colorado Springs, but not about Manitou Springs, so that's a good tip in case I am ever visiting the area!

Anonymous said...

Next time I'm down there, I'm definitely calling you for some tips!