Friday, September 7, 2007

Friday

After getting my fill of fiber and leftovers yesterday, I decided to head out for both lunch and dinner today. I still started the day with a banana and watermelon, though. The cantaloupe remains in the refrigerator, however. I ate so much of it as a child that it's hard to get really excited about it. Though when your choices are cantaloupe and broccoli, you choose the cantaloupe even if you have to eat half a melon at a time. Boy, could my mom take the fun out of any food.

Knowing that I was going out to dinner as well, I convinced my friend to have a light lunch of sushi. I had a salad, avocado roll and what they (at Sushiyobi) call a "green roll," which is avocado, cucumber and asparagus topped with seaweed. It was really very tasty and though a little pricey for vegetables, it was large and well-presented.

But dinner. I last ate at Mirror about three years ago because my usual dining companion doesn't care for the restaurant. The dining room is small and rather cramped as well as fairly noisy. But I was pleased tonight to see that they have a patio (which I don't recall from three years ago). The weather was perfect for dining al fresco and it was nowhere near as noisy and cramped (festive?) as inside. I was pleased to see potato crisps drizzled with truffle oil on the menu still. I'd had them on my visit before and they were good enough to stick in my memory. The truffle oil gives the potato chips a nice earthy kick.

I had trouble deciding on another dish...there was a special of creamy cucumber soup, but I opted instead to go with the fried goat cheese salad (pardon, goat cheese cake) with mushroom ragout over mesclun greens. It was a fairly large plate, but I still saved room for dessert which was an apple cake dish with vanilla ice cream. It was good, albeit a bit sweet even for me and my large sweet tooth. It was the caramel sauce--not just overly sweet, but a little too rich. For perspective, I needed to eat it with the ice cream to balance it out. I couldn't even finish it. It's a rare moment when food is left on a plate at the end of a meal, particularly if it's dessert.

Though I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's dinner, I'm counting down the moments to Greek Fest tomorrow.

No comments: