Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Non-Local Food

One of the biggest trends amongst environmentalists and foodies is the pursuit of local food--food from within a 100-mile radius of your home. While I consider myself a very environmentally conscious person, it's just not something I can get behind. I have a banana every day and bananas come from faraway tropical lands, not from the farms of Tennessee. Though I do buy other produce locally when I can. But even the local produce stand goes beyond the 100-mile border to bring us these lovely babies. Gala and McIntosh apples brought in from Michigan. If the intersection of Highway 100 and the Natchez Trace Parkway is local to you, I recommend stopping by to get yourself some apples. They've got early "winter" squash (butternut, acorn, spaghetti, and others), pumpkins and other gourds as well.


And if you're wondering why I haven't been posting about what I've been eating...well, let's just say I've been raiding the freezer more than I'd really like to admit. And tater tots really shouldn't count as dinner, but hey, they're vegan so there's that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am still trying to eat mostly local (see my May 2007 and summer local food adventure http://lannaelong.blogspot.com/search/label/Eat%20Locally ) and I am probably at about 75% local. I too like bananas (aka the perfect breakfast), some Asian fruits, foreign spices and grains, which none grow here. For the rest of the ingredients I know I can source from here, I do source from here.

Lesley said...

I think it would be a lot easier to eat local if I lived in California. But I'd be too broke to eat at all!