Saturday, September 29, 2007

Miss Saigon (the restaurant, not the theatrical production)

I still haven't really got the hang of this foodblogging thing. I have this tendency to dig into my food and get halfway in before I realize that I neglected to take a picture. Such is the case for a lovely Bibb lettuce salad I had at Green Hills Grille earlier this week. Note: the vegetarian menu there is separate from the main menu so you have to ask to see it. Frankly, I think they should have the vegetarian items on the main menu; even omnivores like to have fresh, healthy, meat-free meals once in a while.

I did, however remember to take pictures during yesterday's lunch with my friends, Emily and Tabitha. We went to my favorite local Vietnamese restaurant, Miss Saigon. Where the vegetarian section of the menu is thoughtfully placed on the very first page, directly underneath the appetizers.

Tabitha and I started off the meal with an order of vegetarian spring rolls. We were both ready to dig in, so I neglected to get a picture of them. But they're very large and filled with lettuce, vermicelli, shredded carrots and cucumbers, and shredded tofu. A note on the tofu: I don't know how they prepare it or where they get it, but it has the consistency (al dente, that is) of pork. So much so that the first few times I ordered the appetizer, I had lengthy discussions (okay, inquisitions) with the staff to make sure it was really tofu. They're delicious and at two for $2.75, a bargain. They come with a soy-sauce type dipping sauce which I have not yet asked about. There's no oiliness about it, so I'm hopeful it's vegetarian. I've been reluctant to ask, though.

For lunch, I ordered the tofu and vegetables with vermicelli (AKA #10). It's a bowl dish with layers of vegetables, the thin white rice noodles, tofu and some toppings. At the bottom is a layer of shredded lettuce and bean sprouts (both crunchy, not soggy), then a layer of vermicelli, and topped with shredded carrots, shredded cucumbers, chopped peanuts, the same shredded tofu that's in the spring rolls, what I think is carmelized onions (crispy and brown) and a garnish of chopped fresh mint leaves. It comes with a sauce that's similar to the spring roll dipping sauce, but I usually just use my leftover dipping sauce so that I don't have a soup in my bowl. This is one of my favorite dishes at this restaurant. It's light but also filling and very satisfying. And only $5.95!

Emily ordered the lemongrass tofu (AKA #12). She opted for the vermicelli, so it comes prepared in a similar way as the tofu in vegetables, with the key difference being the preparation of the tofu. Instead of shreds, it's sticks of tofu breaded and fried with essence of lemongrass, which gives it a citrusy and spicy kick that is very yummy. It also comes (as you can see) with large chunks of stir-fried onions and the same sauces at the #10. I highly recommend it, but note that it's a heavier dish than the #10.

Tabitha ordered crispy noodles with shrimp, so we won't talk about that. Except that to say that minus the dead crustaceans, looked quite yummy.

Getting to Miss Saigon can be an adventure if you don't know where you're going, too. It's in a shopping center that's not really visible from the road, so the best directions I can give to locals is that if you're driving west on Charlotte from White Bridge Road, stay in the left lane and right before it ends, turn left up the hill into the shopping center. Miss Saigon greets you as you crest the hill. And be sure to leave some time to stop in to the K & S World Market next door. They have an incredible selection of international foods and drinks (real Pepsi with sugar!) and an impressive produce section. Sometimes, the stench of the dying or dead seafood at the rear of the store is a little overpowering, so beware.

Update: Miss Saigon is closed on Tuesdays.

4 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

i'm a miss saigon fan myself. it's one of the few places i can go, get change from a $20 for 2 and not bitch about the meal...

Anonymous said...

There is a veggie option for the crispy noodles. It's quite the medley of veggies too - carrots, what looks like chinese napa cabbage, water chestnut, that tiny corn...

I could eat there everyday.

Unknown said...

We always got Kien Giang and get one of 3 of the items on the menu (a rut). The 3 things we normally get are good (tried a few others and they are not good). We have not tried Miss S because we have heard good, passable, and the worst. Mostly we have heard passable and the worst.

Maybe I should try Miss S because of your blog, and not be scared of it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's awesome to see there are fellow Nashville veg*ns. I was beginning to feel all alone.

Your comments on my blog were really helpful. Thank you. I know there are no black and white answers but it's been really insightful to hear everyone's perspective.

I just stopped by K&S for the first time on my way home from work yesterday. If it weren't for the gigantic billboard I never would have found it. I was so excited when I first walked in. I happily browsed down the produce aisle, picking up some refrigerated tofu and baked tofu for dirt cheap! Then I got to the end of the aisle and it hit me. The stench was almost more than I could bear. I think I could have stayed longer if I didn't feel the overwhelming urge to throw up.