Thursday, September 6, 2007

Leftovers

I am still working my way through the large number of covered bowls in the refrigerator leftover from the weekend. It's all good stuff, but I fear that so much of it will go bad before I can eat it. It's a typical problem for people who live alone, I suppose and a reason why so many of us eat from a can, a freezer, or a restaurant.

A survey of what's in the fridge that needs to be consumed very quickly:
• Half a seedless watermelon (small, fortunately)
• An almost too-ripe whole cantaloupe
• Spanish rice
• Fresh cilantro (I will eat this cilantro somehow!)
• Rice pilaf
• Parts of a sweet onion, two zucchinis and two crookneck squashes
• Baby portobello mushrooms
• Fruit cocktail (leftover from making the sangria--might toss this out for the rabbits)
• A chunk of mild cheddar and a chunk of monterey jack cheese (that will start to mold in about a week...maybe I could freeze it)
• Two partial cartons of eggs (which I don't eat, but my frequent houseguest does)
• Champagne grapes (these suckers are too expensive to waste)
• Baby romaine lettuce (I don't remember the last time lettuce went bad in my refrigerator!)

You see what I'm faced with. Lots of good food and not enough time or energy to eat it all. I could spend all weekend eating this food, but there's simply no way I'm going to miss The Greek Festival. I mean, flaming cheese and vegetarian dolmades! And more pastries than my gut can hold. Yum.

Until then, it looks like I might be having grapes and cantaloupe for lunch and watermelon for dinner. Oh boy, that's a lot of fiber.

No comments: