Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Failed experiment

I wanted to make pancakes Sunday morning. I had no egg. So I tried to sub out the egg for a half a mashed banana. And then I added blueberries.

The result?

In a word, bad. The color was an unappetizing bluish gray. The texture was nowhere near pancake-like. It was overly moist and dense. It took too long to cook, so to get it done, I pretty much had to almost burn the outsides. The taste was okay, but it was hard to get past the texture issue.

However, mixing the blueberry juice with some heated Karo syrup to make blueberry syrup was a win. Gotta take 'em where I can get 'em.

3 comments:

Joy of Cooking said...

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for your comment explaining how to insert a link! I will try it next time...

And, have you looked at Mark Bittman's How to cook everything vegetarian? I don't have it but i hear it is a wonderful resourse. I bet he has something in there about substituting eggs. As a baker, I should know, but I don't! I will look into it and if I learn anything will let you know!

Unknown said...

Hey Lesley, good job experimenting! That is awesome that you tried to make a new pancake recipe. I am not brave enought to try to deviate from the "known quantity" too much. Check out my vegan pancakes (no egg!) blueberry pancakes. Next time you do not have an egg, try this recipe. I think these vegan pancakes are awesome. I would add a couple drops of orange extract, or vanilla to the mix because the dough needs flavoring. I added the blueberries in near the end to try and avoid that bluegray color. http://lannaelong.blogspot.com/2007/02/blueberry-pancakes.html

Lesley said...

Thanks Lannae--I'll check that out!