Saturday, April 12, 2008

Fried Tofu Chick'n

Yesterday, Claudia of cook eat FRET fame had to make a trip to Whole Foods, so I met her there for lunch. It was a dark and stormy day, so I opted to hit the hot bar instead of the cold bar. Okay, it really didn't have anything to do with the weather; it had everything to do with seeing these nuggets of "fried tofu chick'n"--small blocks of tofu breaded in nutritional yeast and spices and fried like chicken.

I'd had some oven-fried tofu battered with nutritional yeast at a vegetarian potluck, so I was eager to taste the Whole Foods version. And I was not disappointed. They seasoned the batter perfectly. These nuggets are so very delicious. The Colonel has nothing on Whole Foods' fried chick'n.

But I still haven't gotten brave enough to try working with nutritional yeast on my own. I suppose I could try to get a little creative and/or do some research. But in the meantime, I decided to get about a pound of these little guys for dinner. I figured the SO would really enjoy these. And I was right. We even competed to eat the leftover "crispies" on the plate. That's how good these nuggets are.

Since I still have a lot of potatoes leftover from St. Patrick's Day, I made some mashed potatoes (peels left on to get all the nutrients) and also used up the remaining broccolini I had in the fridge. So I got to clean out the fridge and the pantry a bit and we had a great meal.

And as long as Whole Foods has these nuggets around, I don't see myself figuring out how to make them on my own. Though I'm happy to have found a small container to get me started. Note that the Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast is fortified with vitamin B12--that's good news for vegans and/or vegetarians who aren't getting B12 from dairy products.

5 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

i was there
lesley speaks the truth
and they were really damn good

but

it ain't fried chicken, lesley
it's just not a sub
you funny vegetarian you

but i'd pop 'em any ol' time
and often...

and see how my lunch was all like vegan and impressive? - that is until i spotted the cranberry tuna which as gross as it sounds actually somehow totally works and in a big way!

michael, claudia and sierra said...

ps - i love how they look totally radioactive in the photo...

too cool.

Anonymous said...

I was just at Whole Foods in Nashville yesterday, and bummed I missed the "chicken". It looked so good. I will have to keep my eye out for them on my next trip, which will be rather soon as we still have no food in our house.

Nashveggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nashveggie said...

Please don't waste your cash on the little shaker for $5! Buy in bulk at Whole Foods or Wild Oats! I go through about a pound a week in some cases. Cheeze spread (better than any freaking soy cheese, or any molded bovine secretion for that matter!), Mac n' cheeze! Cheezeburger macaroni! On popcorn! Baked potatoes! Biscuits! Oh, the joys of NUTRITIONAL YEAST! I eat it by the spoonful STRAIGHT! Any veg cook worth his or her salt can use nutritional yeast and KICK some major bootie with it! Don't forget Brewer's Yeast! Garlic toast with a shaking of brewer's yeast....

I should have some nutritional yeast recipes hidden away somewhere on my site...blog, forum, somewhere.

I did a post on nutritional yeast a bit ago. Goes something like this:
http://blog.nashveggie.com/index.php/2008/01/08/virtues-of-nutritional-yeast/

I thin I got just as excited in the post as I did here.

I love some of that nutritional yeast!