Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Great Del Taco Disappointment

First of all, I'd like to say that I actually have cooked recently. And when I have the energy, I will tell you about the citrus honey glazed "ficken" that I made for The Momster when she was in town. But there are more pressing matters.

Yesterday, I had a lovely lunch over at Jackson's in Hillsboro Village (no website, Jackson's? Seriously?) with my wonderful new co-workers. I had the Capri Torrado, which is a chopped grilled portabello mushroom with tomato and avocado in a spinach tortilla wrap. And a whole lot of fries, which are lightly battered and very tasty. So by the time of dinner, I wasn't really hungry, so the SO requested I drop him by the nearby Del Taco/Captain D's combo restaurant.

First, the good news. They have macaroni and cheese.

And now the bad news. There is no Veggie Works burrito. And, if you remember, I love that Veggie Works burrito. There's a "1/2 pound bean and cheese burrito" (with your choice of red or green sauce) for $1.19, but no Veggie Works. Beans and cheese on a tortilla with some sauce is, quite frankly, nothing to get excited about (or a good reason to leave the house). So I got a snack of a side order of macaroni and cheese from the Captain D's section of the menu. I don't know if they had the crinkle fries, but this post (also by someone slapped in the face with the Tennessee version of Del Taco) indicates they do have them.

The SO ordered the bean burrito and, as a result of a "discussion" between us, a fish taco. I assumed because of the co-branding, that the fish taco would be a mini version of Captain D's fish on a taco, but he said that the breading and the fish were different (though, for the record, it looked the same to me but I sure as hell didn't taste it). So he was a little disappointed as well because I'd talked him out of getting a fish dinner. I don't think that Baja Burrito/Blue Coast Burrito has much to worry about with regard to Del Taco knocking them from their perch at the top of the local fish taco heap. Speaking of Blue Coast, I was happy to discover a location over on Sam Ridley Parkway not too far from my office. Good news for my stomach, bad news for my pants. But at least I don't have the 600-calorie Veggie Works burrito calling for me from around the corner. So I can save some room for a little Maximum R&B.

7 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

why am i soooooooo not surprised???

Nicole said...

there is another del taco (minus the captain d's) in mt. juliet if you ever need a fix.

Lesley said...

ceF: Everything is better in California. *sigh*

Nicole: I'm more likely to go back to California than to drive to Mt. Juliet! :)

brittneyg said...

$1.19 for a burrito? A 1/2 pound burrito?

Jesus, I've grown accustomed to the pricing on the West Coast a little too much. That is so CHEAP!

Lesley said...

I'm sure that being in SF more than makes up for not being able to get a cheap chain restaurant burrito for a dollar and change. Ha!

Anonymous said...

FYI, eating fish does not make you a vegetarian....

and del taco's 1/2 lb. bean and cheese burritos are 99 cents on the west cost.

Unknown said...

The product is great. T would like to see the product sweetened with stivia. It is a root from a plant that is all natural, and is safe for diabetics.