Monday, April 14, 2008

Lesley Doesn't Eat

I headed to the pantry the other day in order to satisfy a snack craving. When I have a craving, it's usually for something sweet and fruity. So when I looked and saw a package of Sunsweet Dried Nectarines, I decided they would hit the spot. And, they'd been in the pantry a while and needed to go.

When I picked up the unopened package, I noticed a black and slimy film on the clear part of the bag. Uh oh. I searched it for a best by date. And that's when I realized I have officially turned into my mother. Best by? April 2003. As in, five years ago. As in, they were probably purchased sometime in 2002. Has it really been that long since I was on my dried nectarine kick? I get that way--I'll really like something, stock up and eat it a lot and then get tired of it--sometimes when I still have some supply hanging around in the pantry.

What's worse about this particular package is that not only did I buy it about six years ago, but I also moved this package with me along with a few other pantry items when I relocated from Memphis to Nashville in October, 2004. Even worse, I moved expired food with me; food that was already out of date by a year and a half.

So obviously, I need to throw this package of dried nectarines away. But I can't help but think about how these little guys have been with me through a lot. I bought them when I was still in my 20s. They've been with me through one long-term relationship and, ahem, several short-term relationships. I know far too many people whose marriages haven't lasted as long as I've had these dried nectarines. And people say I'm a commitmentphobe. Ha! I can, at least, commit some pantry space (which is in very short supply) to dried fruit that has passed its prime.

But no more. Just like the unopened container of Bac-Os that I discovered in my mom's house a couple of years ago (which were 12 years past their best by date and had also been moved from one house to another), I'm going to toss them out. But I think I'll leave them in the package. I'm not sure I really want to open it and put these slimy little things on the compost heap.

Incidentally, Sunsweet doesn't sell dried nectarines any more. That's a shame. They were really good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, last week I found a can of cranberry sauce that expired in 2004. Which meant that I also must have moved it with me to our new house. It had black stuff oozing out the top. I almost vomited.

Unknown said...

OMG! What a wonderful find for thinking about what was going on in 2002 and 2003! I like Megan's admission too. Anyway, sorry they don't make these anymore. I would be interested in tasting one. Are there any other brands of these goodies?

michael, claudia and sierra said...

great post
loving your stuff...

let's get my people to call your people...

if not i'll see you tomorrow anyway

Taylor said...

Polyurethane two of them and you can wear them as earrings...and have them with you forever!

Lesley said...

MG: that makes me feel a little better. You're not old enough to be senile.

Lannae: I need to look into that. They might have them in bulk at Whole Foods. Though they might be seasonal.

CEF: You want me to bring these to you? I imagine eating a couple will help with the weight loss you think you need.

Taylor: excellent idea. Or they could be cat toys. Though they'd just get pushed under the fridge with all the other toys.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.