Monday, April 7, 2008

Nolensville Road

Here's an interesting coincidence...the SO and I spent the weekend in his part of town and after dropping my car off for new brakes, we decided to go exploring on Nolensville Road. There are tons of ethnic groceries, restaurants and bakeries and I was on the hunt for some m'semen for Claudia (okay, for me too). Well, as we were making our way up and down the road, Claudia was blogging over at Music City Bloggers that Good magazine named Nolensville one of the tastiest streets in America! Though, oddly enough, I didn't visit any of the places Good highlighted in their article.

Our first stop was the Monsal Bakery at 5741 Nolensville Road (in the Kroger shopping center at Old Hickory Boulevard). We picked up all sorts of baked goodies, including some kind of creme horn, a cinnamon-spiced biscuit-y thing (so good), a cream cheese and fruit filled turnover and a few other pastries. We also got a flan and a Mexican Coke (ie, sugar sweetened instead of high fructose corn syrup).

After a few bites in the car, we headed much further up the way to House of Kabob at 216 Thompson Lane (just east of Nolensville, past the library in that little shopping center). In its previous iteration (the name escapes me), it was a Persian restaurant and it appears it still is. You can get green rice with any entree (instead of what comes standard), they serve doogh, and there are several appetizers that aren't offered at other Middle Eastern Restaurants.

They start you out with a plate of pita bread, some cheese, butter and cilantro, which we thoroughly enjoyed. For lunch, I ordered a plate of green rice along with a couple of appetizers--the must'mooseer (a yogurt dip with sundried shallots) and some feta and walnut spread garnished with olives and tomatoes to eat with pita (a new favorite of mine). I don't think I spelled that first appetizer correctly (and can find a hundred ways to spell it online) and I can't remember what the second one was called at all. Sorry 'bout that. I can tell you that both were very good, though (the yogurt was a good accompaniment for the rice).

After lunch, we headed south again toward the Baraka Bakery. We had a little trouble finding it, even though I knew it was also near the intersection of Nolensville Road and Old Hickory Boulevard. After a couple of tries, we found it way back in the corner of the L-shaped shopping center adjacent to Lowe's.

And though Baraka didn't have the m'semen (he did say he knew a Moroccan man and would check on its availability for me), they offered some great goodies to tempt our sweet tooths (sweet teeth?). Baraka is known for supplying a lot of pita and lavash to area restaurants and groceries, but it also has an extensive international cookies and candies section (as well as other grocery items and a fairly good selection of Middle Eastern cheeses). The candy selection beats the heck out of any place I've ever been. I don't know what it is about a foreign chocolate bar, but I'm drawn to one like a bee to a flower. It was difficult just to choose two. But I ended up with a couple of exotic bars, one of which has some vanilla creme in it. A picture of some sort of vanilla drink was on the label--I'm not sure what it is since the label is printed in every imaginable language except English.

We also got some cookies. I got some orange cookies dipped in chocolate--the SO doesn't like chocolate and orange, so this is the one flavor combination in a snack that will remain unmolested at his home. For the SO, I found some intriguing cookies from Poland: plum-filled gingerbread dipped in chocolate. Wow. These little heart-shaped devils are awesome. A little spicier than American gingerbread which helps to keep from binging on them. The SO remarked that they taste like Christmas cookies. I'm thinking now that I should have the same rule for Baraka Bakery that I have for Bobbie's Dairy Dip--if I want to go there, I have to walk to get there. That little rule helped me cut way back on my ice cream consumption last year. It's a handy device.

Incidentally, I also wanted to check out the Aurora Bakery, but discovered it was closed. If anyone has any idea if it's moved, please let me know. I'd still like to check it out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, about halfway through your post I made a mental note to ask if you'd tried Aurora. Guess not... I'd been meaning to check that place out for the longest time, and finally stopped by a few weeks ago, just to discover it was too late.

The sign on the window at the time said it would be opening again under new management, not sure if that's still the case.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

that sounds like such fun. when can we go on an adventure like that? like on a weekday. i am ready. c'mon. but not tomorrow. but any other day. or we could just go to marche and hang out and have dessert at sweet 16th.
or... charlotte ave? or back to nolensville. c'mon. work with me here...

Lesley said...

Jon--we *almost* went to Siam Cafe instead. It would have been funny to run into you!

Claudia--I'm spending every sunny day in the yard this week, but when it starts raining again (which will be soon), we need to head out. Rainy days are great days for Marche, that's for sure.

Diana said...

Now THAT'S a coincidence.

I hadn't noticed Aurora is closed! I haven't been there personally, but a coworker brought one of their tres leches cakes to a gathering. It was fantastic.

Pink Kitty said...

House of Kabob is one of my favorite Middle Eastern places in Nashville.

If you haven't done so, be sure to visit Genie's Persian Palace. It's at the corner of Moore's Lane and Franklin Rd (Cool Springs area).

The buffet is awesome and plenty of vegetarian options. Lunch is a much better deal than dinner.

Genie's is owned by the wife of Mohammed of Fat Mo's burgers.

Anonymous said...

I love those plum-gingerbread-chocolate things! They're like a cross between cookie and candy. They sound weird, but they're really good and unusual.
I'm thinking of making m'semmen, if anyone is up for it in the next couple weeks. They seem manageable. And since I don't bake much anymore, I'm always looking for an excuse.
Drove by Aurora this weekend on my way to Apna Bazaar. I was sorry I never made it there (like I need baked goods). No worries, though -- there's been a bakery in that spot for at least 15 years -- the old Sunbeam day-old bread outlet, then an Israeli place, then Turkish, then Ecuadoran. Someone will colonize it.

Unknown said...

I think that the House of Kabob walnut creamy app is called something like the Chef's Special Appetizer. Does that sound familiar? I really like that one, but I am sure it is pure tasty and fatty goodness. I really like House of Kabob a lot. The yellow/red rice is good too!