Monday, April 28, 2008

The worst thing ever produced in my kitchen...

...not including what the cat has coughed up, of course. The cornbread I made last night. Terrible. Embarrassingly terrible.

As I've mentioned before, I usually make cornbread from Weisenberger's mix. I add a little more milk and a little more cornmeal to stretch it out a bit. It's always been good. But I recently received a copy of The Cornbread Gospels and felt like I should make my own.

First, let me say that this book is very interesting. It's first neatly divided among regions here in the States and followed by global versions as well as all sorts of other cornmeal breads and sidedishes that are traditionally eaten with cornbreads. It's got notes on the various types of meal as well as stories to go with each recipe. Unfortunately, there was not a recipe for sweet potato cornbread like I had at Food For Thought in Williamsburg. There is a recipe for (sweet) sweet potato muffins, however.

I couldn't find a recipe that was quite like my mother's, though. And as much as I love her cornbread, it's generally pretty dry grainy. Usually around bite two or three, a little will get caught in my throat and make me cough. So I was hoping for a more moist version. So I came up with my own recipe that was a combination of several recipes (with my mom's as a base). Usually, this works out great for me. Not this time.

I used two eggs in my version. Well, not eggs per se, but the generic version of Egg Beaters. This was my first mistake. And maybe my baking powder was past its prime? I do keep it in the freezer, but that stuff doesn't stay good forever. And I added soda despite the fact that I wasn't using buttermilk, but I don't think that was a problem (I used just a teaspoon each of soda and powder). I also cooked it at 400 degrees instead of 450.

The result was a dense, spongy, oily, dark mustard colored hunk of nastiness. I couldn't even distinguish the feel of the grain. I didn't use very much oil, so I think the egg products were a huge part of the problem. The SO actually ate some of it, saying that "it wasn't bad," but I wouldn't let him eat much. The texture was so incredibly foul.

On the upside, I didn't take a shortcut with the black-eyed peas; I started with dry peas, did the quick soak (actually soaked a few hours) and then simmered them for an hour and a half. They were quite good.

I also roasted some (organic) carrots. These actually turned out quite good. I got the idea from some carrots I had at Whole Foods. I sliced them on the bias, thinly coated them in olive oil, drizzled on some lemon juice and sprinkled them with salt and pepper. I roasted them for about 20 minutes at the aforementioned 400 degrees in a glass baking dish. Anything that will make a carrot more palatable to me is a good thing.

I will try cornbread again at some point. But not soon.

UPDATE: I neglected to write that right after I ate the edible portions of my meal, I called my mother to tell her about the cornpucks. She was kind but said, "If you want to make my cornbread, you have to make it my way." That's a mother for you.

9 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

real eggs
real eggs
real eggs

i am so kicking your ass

and you're baking! follow a bloody recipe! and go buy fresh baking powder fer cryin' out loud!

don't make me have to turn this blog around...

michael, claudia and sierra said...

love you
mean it

Lesley said...

ceF: re: comment 2--of course you do. I forgot to add my mother's comment to this post. I'm updating it right now.

Anonymous said...

I've tried the fat free vegan's corn bread recipe before and it was pretty good if I remember right - I think I omitted the pepper chucks. Tom doesn't really like cornbread so I don't make it often even though I love it.
By the way the carrots look amazing.

Anonymous said...

pepper chucks?

Lesley said...

Nicole: who doesn't like cornbread? That's just plain unAmurrcan.

Pogo: it's a vegetarian thing; you wouldn't understand. :)

Anonymous said...

Cornbread does not require eggs. I'll make you a batch and prove it.

Anonymous said...

Lesley: That's what I figured -- y'all are keeping the prime cuts for yourself! ;^)

Anonymous said...

Crescent dragonwagon is amazing. Her Soup and Bread is one of my favorite cookbooks of all time.
Cornbread -- it can be fussy, fo sho, but it seems like it should be foolproof.