Saturday, April 19, 2008

PM

The weather has been so nice here for the last few days that I've been taking advantage of it and eating lunch out al fresco. One of my favorite places to do so is PM on Belmont Boulevard nearby Belmont University. The patio is rather large--there twelve or so tables in the front and more around the side--and being on Belmont Boulevard, there's a fair amount of foot traffic and not as much car traffic so there's plenty to keep yourself entertained without having a side dish of exhaust fumes and traffic noise with your meal.

As suggested by the name, PM was at one time only open in the evenings, but has been open for lunch a couple of years now. It's about the time they started opening for lunch that they also added sushi to their mostly Thai-inspired menu. One of my favorite rolls in town is their asparagus tempura roll. I don't think I have to explain why.

But I opted for the Tofu Thai Wrap with a side of sweet potato fries for lunch. The wrap is served with a small dish of their peanut sauce which I absolutely love. Inside the wrap, there are delicate crispy fried rice noodles, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce and tomato accompanying the fried tofu. The combination of crunchy and soft works really well. And the peanut sauce adds such a nice flavor. The sweet potato fries are more like chips since they are slices (possibly from the same batch used for the tempura), but they are pan fried with a slight crisp and served with wasabi mayonnaise. Though I don't really care for wasabi, the taste was delicate enough to work well and be a nice condiment for the sweet potatoes.

But PM isn't just good for lunch. For dinner, you can choose from small plates and sushi and eat tapas style or you can choose from several main plates. I never choose a main plate. I love the peanut sauce fondue so much that I always order it with one or two other dishes to share and to add a little color to my meal. I'm obviously not kidding when I say I love their peanut sauce.

2 comments:

Diana said...

That's a great looking spread! Thanks for writing about PM -- been curious to check it out.

I don't want to figure out how to make those sweet potato chips... That could be dangerous.

Unknown said...

Yeah, the PM secret is out. We used to go there during its 1st year (no one went), but now it is SRO. All the food we have gotten there is just better than it needs to be. That peanut sauce, well, I would drink it if they let me. It is really good.